Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: The Lone Ranger

1. Collapse Details
    The Lone Ranger
    Happy 90th birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Monday and won that Olympic gold medal on a Monday some 67 years ago (last month).

Our birthday athlete also owns an Olympic silver medal, but in a different event.

Some might say the father of our birthday athlete inspired his child to compete at the Olympics.

A famous actor (especially on television) was about a month away from turning 15 years old when our birthday athlete was born.

These two people (birthday athlete & famous actor) share the same initials.

You probably know that this athlete was the favorite going into the Olympics and our birthday person set a new Olympic record in winning the gold medal.

Please name this champion with a birthday on this second Monday in August.

2. Collapse Details

I got the actor but I couldn't get the athlete. So I had to ask my buddy DG to check out if my actor was right and ipso facto the athlete.

3. Collapse Details

Charlie Moore.

4. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today (90) to Charlie Moore and congratulations, tandfman. Charlie Moore won the 1952 (Helsinki) Olympic 400 hurdles with an Olympic record (51.06). Six days after winning that gold medal, Moore ran the third leg on the four by 400 relay team that took the silver medal to Jamaica's gold medal. Moore's third leg split was 46.3. It wasn't a great leg for him, especially since he had to go against Jamaica's Herb McKenley who split 44.6. Moore had the lead when he got the baton, but was in second place when he handed off to Mal Whitfield. Whitfield went against Jamaica's George Rhoden. Both Whitfield and Rhoden ran 45.5 on their anchor legs. Moore was an excellent hurdler, but I think the U.S. lost that relay on the third leg.

5. Collapse Details

As the world record in the individual 400 at the time was 45.8, I prefer to think that McKenley won the relay for Jamaica rather than Moore lost it. I think the equivalent now would be Moore running 43.6 to McKenley's 41.9!

6. Collapse Details

Good point, Trickstat.

7. Collapse Details

For anyone too young to get the Lone Ranger clue, it was the actor Clayton Moore - a dead giveaway.

8. Collapse Details

To me, it was easy because from the clues, one could infer that it was a hurdler or steepler or multis person at the 1952 Olympics who is still alive. I happen to know that Moore is still alive. So is Harrison Dillard, but he's older than 90 (and he won two golds in Helsinki). The others (Ashenfelter and Mathias) are not still alive.

9. Collapse Details

Yes, one C. Moore is alive, the other C. Moore passed away some 20 years ago. Clayton Moore went to Senn High Scool in Chicago, about 2 miles from my house. Whenever we all would pass Senn on way to practice and pass by Senn someone would yell Hi-Ho Silver Away!
    Senn also had a gold medalist and silver medalist as graduates