Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Drew Hunter update
    Administrator
    in case why you wondered about the low profile of late, it's Lyme Disease. See our long story on the front page.

2. Collapse Details

He says he might look for a race in late July or August.
    Suggestion: Run the Flotrack 10000 in Portland!
    He'd still be eligible for HSR's (till August 31), and that HSR is now 40 years old!
    It's tough, but I'd guess a 3:57 miler could handle 6 back-to-backs at about 4:36 per!!

ADD: Tweeted Drew, saying I'm happy he's healthy again, and that, if he wants an August race, he should try the Portland 10000 Twilight on August 6th.

He liked my tweet, then replied----"6.2 miles on a track....I'll wait a few years".

HA!
    At least the kid knows how long a 10K is in English measure!!
    LOL
    Last edited by aaronk; 06-24-2016 at 12:08 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Lyme Disease could be a thing that haunts him throughout his career. If he's had it twice before, he probably never really cleared it.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Without actually looking up any medical info, I'm slightly surprised that he attributes subsequent incidences to new attacks. Yo, medicos! Is this more likely just recurrences (like malaria, as I understand it) that can plague you "forever"? There's no anamnestic phenomenon?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Lyme Disease could be a thing that haunts him throughout his career. If he's had it twice before, he probably never really cleared it.
    Which is not a good sign. I know someone who battled it for years and ultimately died from it.

6. Collapse Details

I wish him well and hope he fully recovers. I write this as a person living with the side effects (or whatever they should be called) of an adverse reaction to an insect bite, from 10+ years ago. I was of course older than Mr. Hunter when it happened, but I subsequently have periodized my athletic performance history (such as it is) into utterly different pre- and post- phases. It finally became apparent to me that the effects to me were permanent.

7. Collapse Details

A very long article about Lyme's disease appears here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...h-lyme/594736/

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    A very long article about Lyme's disease appears here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...h-lyme/594736/
    I have to admit, it's kind of amazing to me that you would see an article about Lyme's disease and think, "I should add this to that Drew Hunter thread from 3 years ago!"

But then, when you have 19,000 posts, perhaps you recollect things like that!