Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Charles and Lulu
    Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who was born 119 years ago today, died at the age of 42, and won four Olympic medals in three Olympic Games.

Our birthday athlete competed in three Olympic events (and won medals in all three), none of which involved the hurdles.

All three of our birthday athlete's Olympics were held in Europe in countries which border each other.

Did I mention that this champion won two Olympic silver medals in the same event?

I bet you know this person. Go ahead and name our birthday athlete for this second Sunday of August.

2. Collapse Details

Charlie Paddock. He was born in 1900 and his plane went down in the Aleutian Islands at the age of 42.

3. Collapse Details

The 20-24-28 part was easy, but I had to research after that.. I thought of Paddock, but could not find anything about his possible 1928 participation. He was not in the relay but maybe he ran the 100 or 200 but did not make the finals ?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    I thought of Paddock, but could not find anything about his possible 1928 participation. He was not in the relay but maybe he ran the 100 or 200 but did not make the finals ?
    Yes, Wikipedia omits his 1928 participation in Amsterdam, where he was a non-qualifying 4th place in the 200m semifinal.

5. Collapse Details

Paddock almost got chucked out of the '28 team over accusations of professionalism, but was reinstated in time.

6. Collapse Details

Very good, KDFINE. You got Charlie Paddock who was born 119 years ago today in Texas. He won two Olympic gold medals (1920) in the 100 and first leg of the four by 100 relay. He also won Olympic silver medals in the 200 (1920 & 1924). He did not make the 200 final in Amsterdam (1928). You're right, LopenUupunut, that Paddock was accused of professionalism, but did make it to his third Olympic Games.