Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    decathlon for women? [split]
    Quote Originally Posted by said88 View Post
    It's completely irrelevant for which mark in the different events you will get 1.000 points.
    This is true as far as it goes. But if the point spreads are bigger in one event than in another, then an athlete who is better in the event with bigger point spreads benefits from that.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    This is true as far as it goes. But if the point spreads are bigger in one event than in another, then an athlete who is better in the event with bigger point spreads benefits from that.
    And the spreads are the largest in HJ and JT. Those are the two events where you can gain the most points over the field.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    If you are talking about barriers obviously you are not talking about the US....

4. Collapse Details

I don't have time to look too deeply into the link between PV and combined events but here are a few quick and dirty numbers.

MEN

There are 54 countries in pela's alltime lists that have men listed for either PV or Dec since 2000.

However, only 25 have athletes in both lists. These 25 countries account for 93% of PV performers and 79% of Dec. performers and have more than 10 athletes in each event.

No other country has more than 10 athletes in either event except Estonia, which has 11 decathletes listed but zero PVers.

The top four countries in PV, USA, GER, RUS, FRA, account for 54% and 47%, respectively.

WOMEN

There are 57 countries that have women listed in either PV or Hep over the same period.

However, only 27 countries have athletes in both. These 27 countries account for 90% of PV performers and 86% of Hep. performers.

There are only three countries USA, RUS, GER with more than 10 athletes in each event, accounting for 50% and 36%, respectively.

In comparison to the men, the top four countries in PV also account for 54% of PV but only 38% of Hep. It takes the first 8 PV countries to reach app. the same (46% vs 47%) combined event percentage as the men.

This data suggests that combined event success is highly concentrated but that women's is less relatede to PV success than men.

For those that prefer a visual, I plotted the number of PV athletes vs the number of combined event athletes for both sexes in the chart below.

PVvsCE.JPG

Note that while there is a correlation between the two events this doesn't mean that one drives the other, rather they are both likely to be emegent results from the system supporting the athletes. You would need to look across more events to fully understand the relationship.

5. Collapse Details

I wonder how male decathletes would feel if the disciplines in the multi-event are reduced from ten to seven? Would they feel happy that they will have to do seven events instead of ten? Or will they think that they will be reduced to doing "easier", more "girly" version of multi-events? I think it won't be easy to convince the men that the version of the heptathlon proposed by 18.99s in this forum will define who is the world's greatest track-and-field athlete as the decathlon does.
    Last edited by ralmcg; 08-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ralmcg View Post
    I wonder how male decathletes would feel if the disciplines in the multi-event are reduced from ten to seven? Would they feel happy that they will have to do seven events instead of ten? Or will they think that they will be reduced to doing "easier", more "girly" version of multi-events? I think it won't be easy to convince the men that the version of the heptathlon proposed by 18.99s in this forum will define who is the world's greatest track-and-field athlete as the decathlon does.
    It's made tougher by having to do it in one day, and the event list I proposed doesn't match the existing women's heptathlon (due to the 400mh and 1500m).

It could also be turned into the octathlon (4 morning events + 4 evening) so it wouldn't carry the historical "baggage" of the heptathlon name.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    It's made tougher by having to do it in one day, and the event list I proposed doesn't match the existing women's heptathlon (due to the 400mh and 1500m).

It could also be turned into the octathlon (4 morning events + 4 evening) so it wouldn't carry the historical "baggage" of the heptathlon name.
    What would the 8th event be, besides the events you mentioned previously? Will it be a run, a jump, or a throw? It would probably throw the balance of types of athletics skills off, at least somewhat.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post

Put the javelin in and I would love to see that as an event.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmcg View Post
    We know how they would feel. The Octathlon was proposed by European Athletics and all the men I saw spoke out against it.

If I am remembering correctly, Kevin Mayer did the math, and he would have been Olympic Champion if it was the Oct instead of Dec... and he said he would still prefer the Decathlon.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    We know how they would feel. The Octathlon was proposed by European Athletics and all the men I saw spoke out against it.

If I am remembering correctly, Kevin Mayer did the math, and he would have been Olympic Champion if it was the Oct instead of Dec... and he said he would still prefer the Decathlon.
    https://twitter.com/TnFtms/status/10...902110208?s=20