Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    What equipment would they have to share? The vault pit sits empty most of the time so that should not be a problem with sharing. They would not be using the same poles; is it the shortage of chalk?
    My point is that the mostly male administrators and coaches don't seem willing to let girls and women even try to pole vault and just reserve it for the boys and men, at least in some track-and-field programs around the world.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ralmcg View Post
    My point is that the mostly male administrators and coaches don't seem willing to let girls and women even try to pole vault and just reserve it for the boys and men, at least in some track-and-field programs around the world.
    Maybe so, but nothing in that comment is specific to the pole vault. Is it much greater in the vault; if not why the comment here?

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    There could be cultural barriers but pole vaulting takes a great deal of physical strength head to toe. Id imagine that finding girls that can start at the PV as 16 year olds is no small feat, it is hard enough to find boys that can start down that path at 16y. We had plenty of fast boys, we had plenty of agile and strong boys but being able to run as fast as you can and have the mental wherewithal to catapult yourself up off the ground is no small task. Next to coaching football QBs, training the PV must be one of the hardest jobs in coaching.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I've never seen any by-event numbers, but my gut feeling (among pre-collegiate girls) is that there are more PV adepts than any other field event. They get plenty of opportunities to try, what with people like Stacy Dragila and Becca out there beating the drum.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I've never seen any by-event numbers, but my gut feeling (among pre-collegiate girls) is that there are more PV adepts than any other field event.
    I don't think that's the case for most countries outside the US and Western Europe.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Maybe so, but nothing in that comment is specific to the pole vault. Is it much greater in the vault; if not why the comment here?
    In all honesty I don't know for sure if the barriers to pole vaulting for girls and women are greater than for any other track-and-field events. I comment on it because the women's decathlon has the pole vault in it and if it is to be in the championships and the Olympics the pole vault will be the biggest hurdle to it being accepted. Resistance might be lessened if girls and women have access to the pole vault in more countries around the world.

7. Collapse Details

Resistance might be lessened if girls and women have access to the pole vault in more countries around the world.
    Or if the women's decathlon replaces the pole vault with something else, like the 400mh.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Or if the women's decathlon replaces the pole vault with something else, like the 400mh.
    Which begs the question. Will the men's decathlon replace the pole vault with something else? If not, we will not have a really equal multi-events, since men and women compete in different events.

9. Collapse Details

Which begs the question. Will the men's decathlon replace the pole vault with something else? If not, we will not have a really equal multi-events, since men and women compete in different events.
    The men's and women's decathlon will never be totally equal, unless women use the same hurdle heights and throwing implements and scoring tables as men.

The most important aspect of the equality is having 10 events. That can be accomplished without the pole vault. If the women's decathlon had the 400mh or steeplechase, nobody could accuse it of being less grueling than the men's version.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 08-24-2019 at 01:10 AM.

10. Collapse Details

I remember reading that there are high schools that use the TJ instead of the PV (for both boys and girls).

ie jump for a jump