Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Brazil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Brazil
    Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who was born 110 years ago today and died at the age of 84.

This champion competed in one Olympics and won the gold medal with a world record.

Our birthday athlete won that gold medal two days before turning 23 years old and did not use any hurdles.

You might already know that this person was born in the same country where this athlete won that Olympic gold medal.

In fact, approximately 1,661 miles (2,674 km) separate the athlete's birthplace with the Olympic stadium where our birthday person won the gold medal.

It's been 25 years since our birthday athlete died, however there are still a few people who remember the performance of this individual at the Olympic Games.

Does anyone know who this champion is? Give it a try and name our birthday athlete for this second Friday in August.

2. Collapse Details

Carr in the 400 fits.

3. Collapse Details

A very good guess, dukehjsteve, but our birthday athlete is about two months older than Bill Carr. Carr ran two events in the Olympics and our birthday athlete ran only one event. Bill Carr died at the age of 56 and our birthday athlete died at the age of 84. Both Carr and our birthday person went to school very close to each other.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks DoubleRBar. I would guess again but in this game, it is one strike and you are out.

5. Collapse Details

No strikes in this game, dukehjsteve. Please feel free to guess as many times as you wish.

6. Collapse Details

I think this is a hard one. If I can give a hint, think Frenchy.

7. Collapse Details

Great questions and hints, DoubleRBar! What are your preferred rules regarding research? Is Wikipedia allowed?

8. Collapse Details

For this quiz, there is no research allowed. None. You either figure it out in your head, make a guess, or let someone else try. You are allowed to guess one athlete at a time and if you miss, you may try again (one athlete at a time).

9. Collapse Details

I have to thank my old friend Bambam for this one - it wasn't the former Steeler Frenchy Fuqua, but Ivan Fuqua

10. Collapse Details

Very well done, rhymans. It was Ivan Fuqua who was born 110 years ago, three days ago. Fuqua ran the first leg (47.1) on the winning U.S.A. four by 400 relay in Los Angeles (1932). This team set a world record in winning the gold medal in Los Angeles. Fuqua graduated from Brazil High School in Brazil, Indiana.