Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The section on blood tests is interesting on the dubious over use of them....

"The fact that a whole industry has popped up to help healthy people find ways to feel anxious about their bodies seems like a statement about the weird times we’re living in."

She is a very good writer and with a good eye and ear on some of this sports medicine nonsense....sort of an anti Dr. Oz...
    I agree, Conor Dary. Very good writer and good book. Highly recommend it. I think most people of this MB would enjoy it.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    On the placebo effect.... which sometimes is almost deadly....

Since Nieman’s study came out in 2006, other research has shown that using ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) prior to exercise may actually impede tissue repair and delay the healing of bone, ligament, muscle, and tendon injuries. And because inflammation appears to be a necessary step in a muscle’s adaptation to exercise, some researchers theorize that taking anti-inflammatories might blunt some of the gains that you’d otherwise get from hard training, an idea supported by preliminary studies. The downsides of NSAIDs have received attention in the New York Times and Washington Post as well as sporting publications like Runner’s World and specialty websites targeted at athletes. Yet the belief that NSAIDs should help athletes perform with less pain remains ingrained. One runner I interviewed was hospitalized for a severe case of rhabdomyolysis (a serious kidney condition) after taking ibuprofen during an ultramarathon. Despite her experience, attributable in part to the twelve ibuprofen pills she popped during the 24-hour run, she continues to take ibuprofen while racing, albeit in lower doses. “Ibuprofen absolutely does work for me,” she told me. She credited the drug with reducing pain and joint inflammation.

I mean you have to be a nut to be hospitalized for a severe case of rhabdomyolysis and ignore what caused it.....all in the cause of running a stupid 24 hour run....

And we wonder why professionals take PEDs....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Also all the talk about athletes who have no time to train etc...because they are doing a lot of stuff they don't need to do...

You might expect that people who use recovery modalities, with all their scientific-sounding promises, have a performance edge, but that’s not necessarily true. Athletes housed at the Olympic Training Center had nearly unlimited access to the recovery center, and performance technologist Bill Sands kept records of who used massage and how often. After the Olympics in 2008, he compared performance in Beijing with recovery center usage and found that nonmedalists used the recovery center massage services more than twice as much as the medalists. What this suggests to Sands is that the best athletes don’t need all these recovery tools, at least not when they’re on form. “It appears that recovery centers may be more ideal for athletes who aren’t as good,” he says.

Looking at all the time and effort that’s required to put yourself through these recovery modalities, I have to wonder if an overemphasis on recovery tools could backfire if they mean that athletes spend even more time at the gym or training center, rather than relaxing at home.

4. Collapse Details

One quibble...she writes this...

"Camille Herron set a world record the first time she finished a 100-mile run. In November 2017, the then-35-year-old was the first runner across the finish line at the Tunnel Hill 100 in southern Illinois. Her time of 12 hours, 42 minutes, and 39 seconds—a 7:38 per mile pace—earned her a world record for the fastest recorded finish (for men or women) on a certified 100-mile course."

Which doesn't make much sense...men have run faster on a track...also Don Ritchie ran under 12 hours 40 years ago on a certified course in the NYRR 100 mile race....

Also fastest recorded finish is a weird way to write...

I don't get the sense she knows much about track or road racing....

5. Collapse Details

Also the plug for Lauren Fleshman and her financial ventures was weird....after writing a whole book on what a waste of money and time this crap is....

6. Collapse Details

There are always boxers in my gym who take ibuprofen to treat their headaches after sparring, so that they can get more time in. I succeeded in talking some out of this practice, but most pop away anyway. Can't think of a more horrible way for "recovery".

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    There are always boxers in my gym who take ibuprofen to treat their headaches after sparring, so that they can get more time in. I succeeded in talking some out of this practice, but most pop away anyway. Can't think of a more horrible way for "recovery".
    I have been on an anticoagulant for atrial fib the past few months. I am scared shitless to touch NSAIDs for any musculo-skeletal pain, so I just hurt.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley