Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I looked it up and decided to buy after reading a sample....fascinating reading...especially the early part on hydration.... in the early 70s we often did long runs, 20+, barely drinking any water, sometimes none, even in the summer and had no problems....

There’s never been a case of a runner dying of dehydration on a marathon course, but since 1993, at least five marathoners have died from hyponatremia they developed during a race.
    Yes, I've been in touch with Christie Aschwanden about this. A few weeks ago I was an invited guest at West Point and spent the day touring it with Curt Alitz - you may remember him - late 70s IC4A and Heptagonal XC champion - Curt and I were med school classmates.

It was a very hot day and the new cadets were going thru their paces. Curt told me that a few years a cadet died on a day like this, but it was not heat stroke. He had been over-hydrating and died from hyponatremia, which Christie Aschwanden discusses in her book.

Further, Curt became a triathlete in the later 1980s (3rd one time at US Nationals Olympic distance), and he told me he is in touch with the Ironman medical guys. They told Curt when they get a competitor in extremis now, they always think hyponatremia before they think heat stroke - hyponatremia is deadly is not treated quickly (so is heat stroke, of course). Anyway, they think its a big problem because "hydrate, hydrate" has been drummed into the competitors and us for the last couple decades.

2. Collapse Details

For the MB, one of Curt Alitz's coaches at West Point in the late 1970s was Tuariki. Not directly because I don't think Tuariki did anything with the distance runners but he did coach another med school classmate of mine, John Dietz, who was a triple jumper (not near the same level as Curt in his events)

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I looked it up and decided to buy after reading a sample....fascinating reading...especially the early part on hydration.... in the early 70s we often did long runs, 20+, barely drinking any water, sometimes none, even in the summer and had no problems....
    My main exercise now is bike riding and I barely drink while riding. I drink when I get thirsty and have never had a problem. Today in New Hampshire it was only about 76 F. I rode 30 miles or so and realized when I finished I had not touched my water bottle. Probably not good either, and I'm at the other extreme that I wouldn't quite recommend either.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    On the other side of the coin while I never had problems while running and only drinking to thirst....in Nepal during my Peace Corps days 40 years ago....I came down with heat stroke---body temp of 106, no sweating---from just hiking around....it was about 110+ every day by that time....I was probably dehydrated since water wasn't readily available in the countryside though I wasn't thirsty....also the fact we were suppose to boil it didn't help...

5. Collapse Details

I on the other end of the spectrum always start to sweat profusely 5 minutes into a run or similar workout, so I do have to rehydrate. The funny thing is that I need to monitor and restrict my water intake - it seems that the faster I drink the more furiously I sweat, rather proportionally; and it simply won't help if I drink more than a few sips now and then - I'll just sweat them out immediately, it's quite scary. So I keep rehydration to a sensible amount (which is still a lot) and give up trying to completely quench my thirst.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have always been super-leery of ice baths. Doesn't it restrict blood-flow - the very thing you need for healing?
    Yep. I never understood the reasoning behind ice baths.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Yes, I've been in touch with Christie Aschwanden about this. A few weeks ago I was an invited guest at West Point and spent the day touring it with Curt Alitz - you may remember him - late 70s IC4A and Heptagonal XC champion - Curt and I were med school classmates ...
    Talk about a blast from the past! A little off topic, bambam, but here is Curt strolling to victory in the Army/Navy XC meet in 1975. I was a firstie (Senior) at Navy, and Curt was a Youngster (Sophomore) at Army. He took 1st, Dennis Trujillo took 2nd, but we took 3-4-5-6-7 and won the meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobguild76; 08-10-2019 at 03:16 PM.

8. Collapse Details

As a life-long Raider ran, can we give AB84 back?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Talk about a blast from the past! A little off topic, bambam, but here is Curt strolling to victory in the Army/Navy XC meet in 1975. I was a firstie (Senior) at Navy, and Curt was a Youngster (Sophomore) at Army. He took 1st, Dennis Trujillo took 2nd, but we took 3-4-5-6-7 and won the meet.
    Yeah, Curt was a good distance runner. Ran the 1980 US Olympic Trials in the marathon, and as I mentioned, later became a pretty good triathlete

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The section on blood tests is interesting on the dubious over use of them....

"The fact that a whole industry has popped up to help healthy people find ways to feel anxious about their bodies seems like a statement about the weird times we’re living in."

She is a very good writer and with a good eye and ear on some of this sports medicine nonsense....sort of an anti Dr. Oz...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-12-2019 at 08:54 PM.