Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    not your typical August football injury....
    Administrator

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    cryotherapy .. what could possibly go wrong ?

3. Collapse Details

A former Duke basketball player who played a long-time in the NBA was icing his knee early in his career. He placed the ice bag on the lateral (outside) side of his knee and left it there for "a long time." What he didn't know is that the ice was directly over the peroneal nerve, a major nerve that controls your lower leg and foot. He basically froze the nerve and lost function in it, and was left with a drop foot. It recovered, but it took about 6-8 months and he lost most of that year. Ice is not totally benign.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Ice is not totally benign.
    I have always been super-leery of ice baths. Doesn't it restrict blood-flow - the very thing you need for healing?

5. Collapse Details

There's a related story in the front page headline section about Justin Gatlin's having a similar injury in 2011.

6. Collapse Details

Ice baths are particularly not useful during times of general and specific prep. ("build-up" phases) because they blunt the inflammatory response necessary for adaptation.

7. Collapse Details

Anyone looking to learn about the science behind most of the stuff athletes, and we the public, do to recover from injury or the stress of training, should read the book "Good to Go" by Christie Aschwanden. It basically debunks most of the things we do for recovery with a lot of scientific evidence backing her conclusions. Very good read, also.

8. Collapse Details

Anyone looking to learn about the science behind most of the stuff athletes, and we the public, do to recover from injury or the stress of training, should read the book "Good to Go" by Christie Aschwanden. It basically debunks most of the things we do for recovery with a lot of scientific evidence backing her conclusions. Very good read, also.
    And its conclusions on ice baths? I forbade our trainer from administering them to my athletes. An ice-bag on swellings was always allowed.

My other pet peeve is those random strips of kinesio-tape, which did absolutely zero for my athletes. An ace bandage wrap on an injury (shin splints) was fine. Not sure Ben-Gay / Atomic Balm, etc. did diddly-squat either.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-09-2019 at 12:00 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Cryo-treatment. Uses liquid nitrogen that evaporates into a chamber that you stand in, at least that’s what I’ve seen pictures of. So a young woman or girl who worked at one of those places in Colorado Springs, got in one of those after hours and I think she’s the only one there. She had her cell phone with her. She dropped it and bent over to pick it up, was breathing probably close to 100% nitrogen during the time she was bent over, passed out and froze solid, they found her the next day.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I looked it up and decided to buy after reading a sample....fascinating reading...especially the early part on hydration.... in the early 70s we often did long runs, 20+, barely drinking any water, sometimes none, even in the summer and had no problems....

There’s never been a case of a runner dying of dehydration on a marathon course, but since 1993, at least five marathoners have died from hyponatremia they developed during a race.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-09-2019 at 09:32 PM.