Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Close in a way, because the miler went to Kansas. But it wasn't Ryun, nor was it as late as 1968.

2. Collapse Details

I had thought of Glenn Cunningham.

3. Collapse Details

Tom O'Hara?

4. Collapse Details

It's either Cunningham or Santee.

5. Collapse Details

If Santee-- and I don't know -- I would guess 1955 bc of his 'Ryun-parallel' medal at Pan-Am games that year. At least I think he did that, now that this thread has prompted the memory.

6. Collapse Details

Maybe that's what Santee got thrown out of the amateur ranks for: the AAU asking the same question as us, why'd he run at a meet in Salt Lake City?

7. Collapse Details

Dear Master Pro: Tom O'Hara did run an amazing altitude mile in 1963 in Albuquerque which is around 5300 feet above sea level. He ran 4:04.8 when WR by Snell was 3:54.4 (I calculated a 95.8% of WR time). Unfortunately O'Hara was DQ in race for having his left foot go over flag at end of turn before cutting to the pole lane. As I recall the flag went between his two feet which probably gave him a two inch advantage???.
    I ran like I had a piano on my back after two laps and ran 91.2% for the mile that meet. Not fun.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    If Santee-- and I don't know -- I would guess 1955 bc of his 'Ryun-parallel' medal at Pan-Am games that year. At least I think he did that, now that this thread has prompted the memory.
    That would make sense. The Pan-Am Games were in Mexico City that year, so he might well have wanted to do some altitude racing before then.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    Dear Master Pro: Tom O'Hara did run an amazing altitude mile in 1963 in Albuquerque which is around 5300 feet above sea level. He ran 4:04.8 when WR by Snell was 3:54.4 (I calculated a 95.8% of WR time). Unfortunately O'Hara was DQ in race for having his left foot go over flag at end of turn before cutting to the pole lane. As I recall the flag went between his two feet which probably gave him a two inch advantage???.
    I ran like I had a piano on my back after two laps and ran 91.2% for the mile that meet. Not fun.
    1) Yes, but you did beat O'Hara

2) Flags in a mile race?

10. Collapse Details

Thanks midwestfan for the Tom O'Hara story. Even though I guessed him, I did not know that one.

Also a word of explanation on my two conflicting guesses -- I guessed O'Hara before I saw the Kansas update from dj. And then of course the partial guess re Santee after being prompted by others. It's a good quiz.