Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

See our blog on Tokyo 2020 temps compared to previous Olympics and marathons - http://olympstats.com/2019/10/25/tok...how-hot-is-it/

2. Collapse Details

There is no one to blame but IOC in this case. They are after more money and specifically TV revenues from Europe and USA. 1964 Olympics was in October (10 to 24).

This obsession of starting the games in July and/or August before football (soccer) season in Europe or US even within T&F community is maddening. The best time for running, bicycling, and even rowing is in Fall (mid September on).

I do not want to get political here but with warming of the Earth (record breaking temperature in the past five years) there is no solution but pushing back Olympics into Fall. I may not be alive to see this but it will happen in the next 10 years IMO.

3. Collapse Details

It's also a matter of venue. London, Paris, Helsinki (all European cities, to be sure) would not need to make special arrangements for the marathon. Even Los Angeles and Rio have a lower average July & August temperature than Tokyo.

4. Collapse Details

The marathon is one event. At many of the European cities there is always a significant risk of cold blustery weather which plays havoc with most events. Doha weather appears to have been awesome for all events except the very long distance. I would rather see great times and performances in the majority of events, and where necessary move the marathon walks somewhere else.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GHM View Post
    There is no one to blame but IOC in this case. They are after more money and specifically TV revenues from Europe and USA. 1964 Olympics was in October (10 to 24).

This obsession of starting the games in July and/or August before football (soccer) season in Europe or US even within T&F community is maddening. The best time for running, bicycling, and even rowing is in Fall (mid September on).

I do not want to get political here but with warming of the Earth (record breaking temperature in the past five years) there is no solution but pushing back Olympics into Fall. I may not be alive to see this but it will happen in the next 10 years IMO.
    I assume you mean the northern hemisphere fall (September/October)? This would be Spring in the southern hemisphere (e.g. Sydney 2000) which, to be fair, tends to be fairly similar in terms of temperature.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GHM View Post
    No way.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The Olympics marathon isn't that big deal these days with the All the money in big city marathons and 95% of the talent in 2 countries....so moving the marathon is hardly a crisis....as for the walks....well I have nothing to say....

8. Collapse Details

I think they got this one right.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The Olympics marathon isn't that big deal these days with the All the money in big city marathons and 95% of the talent in 2 countries....so moving the marathon is hardly a crisis....as for the walks....well I have nothing to say....
    I think millions of Japanese fans would heartily disagree with your dismissive tone.

10. Collapse Details

Note that the temperatures in many cities are pretty homogeneous. However, cities like Los Angeles are very different, with coastal areas much below inland areas. While the Marathon in 1984 ended in the Coliseum, the start was near the ocean.

Also, the commentary on running being better in the fall is only the case for the distance events, and even those can be conducted at times of day that are acceptable, especially in places near cool oceans. And, for many other events, summer is better or at least not at all an issue: swimming, volleyball, tennis, gymnastics (and all other indoors sports, of which there are many, especially basketball). Since the World Cup is held in the summer and in warm locales, Olympic summers are not really a problem with fewer games etc.