Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    How long can this over the top spending for the olympics continue?

Eventually there will be no more cities/countries able or interested in hosting the olympics.
    I think we are already there....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was due to Australian quarantine laws making it impractical to have them there.

Surfing isn't banned in mainland France.
    Quarantine is correct.

I assumed that because "surf's up" isn't a common phrase in France there weren't suitable locations. But a quick google search shows there are. France was also one of the stops in The Endless Summer.

My vote right now is that it's another IOC or Organizing Committee boondoggle for repeated site selection and progress check visits.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Not unprecedented. The 1956 equestrian events were held in Stockholm 5 months before the other sports in Melbourne.
    I always wondered what Modern Pentathlon did in 1956. Did they only do four events, or did they all go to Stockholm first?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I always wondered what Modern Pentathlon did in 1956. Did they only do four events, or did they all go to Stockholm first?
    "The quarantine problem with horses, that necessitated moving Olympic Equestrian to Stockholm, did not affect the modern pentathlon, as the modern pentathletes used local horses assigned by the Organizing Committee, which is standard for the sport."

https://www.sports-reference.com/oly...mmer/1956/MOP/

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Quarantine is correct.

I assumed that because "surf's up" isn't a common phrase in France there weren't suitable locations. But a quick google search shows there are. France was also one of the stops in The Endless Summer.

My vote right now is that it's another IOC or Organizing Committee boondoggle for repeated site selection and progress check visits.
    Suspect it's all political. IOC loves to say it serves the four corners of the planet, is working to bring sports to the "third world" nations; French government will be thrilled to toss some crumbs the way of a Département.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    "The quarantine problem with horses, that necessitated moving Olympic Equestrian to Stockholm, did not affect the modern pentathlon, as the modern pentathletes used local horses assigned by the Organizing Committee, which is standard for the sport."

https://www.sports-reference.com/oly...mmer/1956/MOP/
    Modern pentathlon always uses local horses selected by the competitors via a random draw, which makes it somewhat a crapshoot

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Suspect it's all political. IOC loves to say it serves the four corners of the planet, is working to bring sports to the "third world" nations; French government will be thrilled to toss some crumbs the way of a Département.
    To be mildly pedantic, I am pretty sure French Polynesia is not a Département, but an overseas territory. Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana and Reunion are Départements.

8. Collapse Details

Wiki sez that French Polynesia became an overseas territory in 1946, but in 2003 it became an overseas collectivity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Polynesia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_collectivity

9. Collapse Details

Meanwhile ....in the RG today.... getting the Olympics is such a great deal for the locals....

The respected Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei and the daily Asahi also calculated Olympic costs. They said spending was far above what organizers contend. They also placed overall spending at about $28 billion.

The only nonpublic money being spent to fund the Olympics is from the privately funded $5.6 billion operating budget. Revenue for this budget comes from sponsorships, ticket sales, marketing and from a contribution from the International Olympic Committee.

The rest is taxpayer money from the national government, the city of Tokyo and other government bodies.

Organizers also reported last week that demand in Japan for Olympic tickets is about 20 times over supply. This has led to criticism on social media by Japanese upset they cannot get tickets to an Olympics they are funding through their taxes.

10. Collapse Details

In the FT today ....

But the toothpaste is out of the tube and the government knows it. The accountants have shown that not just Tokyo but the whole country is paying a stunning sum to host the games and this figure threatens to turn noxiously political once the torch moves on.