Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

This is a tough question and their is no correct answer, just opinions.
    I would definitely pick Elliott over Snell, and Ryun over Snell.
    The Elliiott/Ryun dual is close in my mind, only because it is the Cerruty vs Timmons factor if they were training for a match race between each other, and I would pick Elliott for his mental toughness in approaching a big race.

2. Collapse Details

Nice level of conversation about Elliott. Anyone know what his basic speed level was at his peak - ie 400 meter dash? I know that Snell was around a 48 second 440 with Ryan about a half a second faster.

3. Collapse Details

Another runner from the 1960s I would compare Elliott too was 400 meter record holder Lee Evans. As I understand it Evans often trained like a middle distance runner with many repeasts over 600 meters/660 yards as well as cross country - running up to 15 miles at a time! This probably gave him an incredibly robust endurance base from which he launched tremendous kicks with that few (except maybe Tommie Smith) could keep up with. Certainly it was unheard of at the time for quarter milers to train like this - perhaps even today. It might also explain how an athletes like John Walker or Nick Symonds could run 400s in 47-48 seconds off of rather mediocre sprint speed (200 potential times no faster than the high 22s to low 23s). Evans was 20.4 for 200 and 43.8 for 400 - a three second differential

4. Collapse Details

A race among those three would have been incredible to watch! Elliot usually put in a hard burst during the third lap, and that might have put him too far ahead for Snell's great finishing kick to have been effective. Ryun ( pre-mono) had it all, so I'd agree that he'd win! We'll never know!

5. Collapse Details

Once upon a time T&FN ran an article that I believe was a computer simulation of a match-up between the great milers. As I recall, "you" had Elliot winning.

6. Collapse Details

Cordner Nelson's description of the 1960 Olympic final in Track's Greatest Champions is classic! I have read it many a time, and love the accompanying picture of him crossing the finish line.

7. Collapse Details

With a better focus and fewer races in 1958 I don't think 3.52 and 3.33 would have been out of the question for Elliott. What if he had been born in 1945 instead of 1938?

8. Collapse Details

He would have been seven years younger.

9. Collapse Details

I remember watching Elliott's WR on a very fuzzy TV news report - probably the day after the 3:54.5. His WR 2 years later was quite brilliant. 2 hours before the race a lady went up to Elliott and asked "Are you Herb Elliott?" - Yes, he replied. "And are you nervous?". No, said he. "Then what are doing coming out of the ladies toilet?".

10. Collapse Details

If I remember correctly, Cerutty waved a yellow towel in Rome on the last lap, as a signal to Elliott to sprint for the WR.