Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks, but I apologize for all the typos! some old fool with big fat fingers must have been typing!

2. Collapse Details

It still amazes me that he accomplished what he did even with taking time away from training and smoking cigarettes during periods between intense training. It underscores his incredible talent and dedication when he applied himself. What an athlete!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    It still amazes me that he accomplished what he did even with taking time away from training and smoking cigarettes during periods between intense training. It underscores his incredible talent and dedication when he applied himself. What an athlete!
    I particularly like the story of traveling to a meeting in Brisbane (Spring 1959?). Elliott on the bus smoked and if I recall correctly drank a beer. Lincoln seeing his chance set a fast pace from the beginning, and was well ahead heading into the final straight. Then he heard this terrible noise of someone coming up behind, gasping for breath. Elliott shot by to win, and was immediately dry retching. Lincoln was shocked at such speed/determination, from an unfit Elliott, and was never the same runner again.

4. Collapse Details

I've just re-read the final chapters of his autobiography, in which he describes his struggle to achieve maximum fitness during the Melbourne winter, and working, and with family responsibilities, and academic work in preparation for his studies in Cambridge after the OGs. On top of all that, he was preparing to move his family to England. It must have required enormous discipline!

5. Collapse Details

I listened to Clarke's several times in the interview with the section he talks about Elliott and Clarke never says "Elliott told me" that "he regretted quitting so young"
    Clarke says: "I think" Elliott quit racing because he never wanted to lose and if you ask him he would tell you I regretted quitting so young" These were Clarke's feeling and impressions about Elliott. He definitely has a strong negative opinion on Cerutty and his training techniques and his control of his runners minds.
    I believe Elliott had a new life after accomplishing his goal of a WR and gold medal in the OG. He had a young child, and career to support his family (no shoe company salary) and opportunity to extend his education. Athletics in the 1960's was a moment in one's short life as a youngster and it was time to expand to other challenges and responsibilities in his life. Guess what? Elliott achieved greatness in his occupation, as a father and husband, and as a hero to his country all because he archived his athletic dream and goal.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    All good points...however since Clarke and Elliott were about the age and Aussies...I think Clarke would have a better perspective on Elliott's thinking than any of us...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    All good points...however since Clarke and Elliott were about the age and Aussies...I think Clarke would have a better perspective on Elliott's thinking than any of us...
    I agree Conor that Clarke may have a better personal perspective of Elliott being from Australia and an athlete in the same era.

If you type "Herb Elliott interviews" into internet the first two says it all with Elliott talking about his career with colleagues who knew him in high school, college, and Cambridge and all infer that he moved on to the next challenge in life,set his mind to excel as a father, and obtain an education that would provide him with the ability to raise a family. He achieved the same satisfaction in his career as an executive (CEO of Puma, NA) and other Australian companies. Like Roger Bannister, running after achieving your dream and goal ends one part of life and opens up another part to excel and achieve satisfaction.

He was offered $250,000 to turn pro and he turned it down which says a lot of his values and character in 1960's.

We all like to "What if" heroes and legends but, I believe, Herb Elliott never thinks of that question in regards to his athletic life.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    He was offered $250,000 to turn pro ....
    in what context?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    in what context?
    Yes, gh, I was surprised at the reference of the $250,000 offer. The story comes from the "Racing Past:The History of Middle and Long Distance Running. I believe written by John Colby.
    It is a six page article on Herb Elliott and on page 2 he states, "after his European tour (referencing 1958), Elliott was offered $250,000 to turn pro by an American promoter...Herb's father thought it was $25,000 because he couldn't believe the offer was that high" "After long negotiations, however, Elliott decided to remain amateur. The episode distracted him from running as did his marriage to Anne in May, 1959. He also was offered and accepted a three-year scholarship to study science at Cambridge University from October, 1960."

There are about 10-15 notes from students who went to school in Australia, or who ran against him in school, and the last runner who almost beat Elliott at Cambridge (his last mile run).

Great history of Herb Elliott