Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
  1. Collapse Details

I understand that these teams arenít together as long and all, but Iím still always amazed that the US canít put out relays squads that even match what the top collegiate teams do at second-tier world competitions.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ztrappity View Post
    I understand that these teams arenít together as long and all, but Iím still always amazed that the US canít put out relays squads that even match what the top collegiate teams do at second-tier world competitions.
    Most of the time these squads consist of those same collegiate athletes, however, at this point of the year they are long past their peak. If the same line up had run this relay in May/June they would've likely run sub 3.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Well, that was an interesting womens hammer ceremony
    https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...tions-protests

4. Collapse Details

Berry was so inarticulate during the interview, I had no idea what she was protesting or why. She seemed somewhat foolish.

5. Collapse Details

I understand the context that Pan-Am is a lower-level meet, but I rather enjoyed following & reading about & watching a bit of this meet. (I also like lower-level European meets, D3 athletics and other such things, and generally like track meets of many kinds -- i.e., I am easily amused.) And as noted by others, quite a few good marks, not only for quite a few individuals who earned PBs, but also several games records, and some other marks of quality beyond those levels.

In reviewing the results, I just figured out an obvious (in retrospect) individual performer who had a very good meet: Laura Esther Galvan Rodriguez, who earned gold in the w5000, after just a bit earlier that day earning 4th in the w1500, in a PB. Not having heard of her, I looked at her IAAF profile and saw that I probably did briefly note her a decade ago. She was a double medalist at Pan-Am juniors in 2009 (3k gold, 1500m bronze), and also in two events at WJC in 2010. Then she was a collegiate athlete in 2012, 2014-2015 -- not sure where, but a Big 12 school, maybe K-State (I didn't try to figure this out). Then no results at all for 2016-2018, before returning to competition this year. Some of you more directly involved with NCAA track probably know/knew her. As for 2016-2018, turns out she retired to pursue a professional career in food sciences.

This brief article (Spanish, followed by a pretty good English translation) explains a bit about her post-collegiate retirement before returning this year:

https://www.vidaenelvalle.com/sports...233750237.html

And her IAAF profile:

https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/mexico...-galvan-257240

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    Then she was a collegiate athlete in 2012, 2014-2015 -- not sure where, but a Big 12 school, maybe K-State
    Yep, K-State.

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/20...-am-games.aspx

"One of the top distance runners in school history, Galvan advanced to the NCAA Cross Country Championships twice (2012, 2014) as an undergraduate at K-State. She also finished in the Top 15 at the Big 12 Cross Country Championship on three occasions (2012, 2013, 2014), earning All-Big 12 honors in each season.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks for the additional info, br.

Edit:
    PS I think the time Galvan ran for 4th in the w1500, 4:10.53, is a Mexican NR.
    Last edited by Master Po; 08-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    I had no idea what she was protesting or why
    Looks like you can't discuss her protest in this thread. Seems a bunch of posts from last night (my time) have been removed - with no explanation - by GH or other mods.
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 08-12-2019 at 04:55 AM.