Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    2019 season and 2020 season in terms of training?
    Hi,

to any coaches on here or experts in general there are many on here, i would just like to actually get some collective answers or at least opinions on with the late world champs this year taken place at a time on the calendar when most athletes might still be resting from the long summer season or starting to go back to winter training they will be at the peak of their powers (we hope, at least).

my question is how is this going to play out when after such a long season this year they will need to have some time off afterwards to rest and then do they rush back to winter training in order for the indoor or spring/summer season which starts say April in time for the Olympics in July/august i.e. normal calendar dates.

it seems like it might be a little difficult thing to gauge and i hope the coaches do a great job if getting their respective athletes in the shape required. i guess this is where good coaches are worth their weight n gold so to speak?.

any thoughts or opinions?

Regards..

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by curtgod View Post
    1. they will need to have some time off afterwards to rest
    2. do they rush back to winter training in order for the indoor or spring/summer season
    3. it seems like it might be a little difficult thing to gauge
    1. True.
    2. No. Many big guns will skip indoors. Super collegians SHOULD skip (redshirt) indoors and debut late in the spring.
    3. and every athlete is different. Sam Kendricks may still be jumping up a storm.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Many big guns will skip indoors.
    There's good prize money at the World Indoor Championships, but that probably won't be enough of an incentive for the really big guns. It won't help that the meet will be in Nanjing, which is not the easiest place for Americans and Europeans to get to.

4. Collapse Details

I've read of a few athletes who will go to Doha mention they were not going to get as much of a break after the season before commencing fall training as they had in previous years. These late WC dates are going to have an impact on some since athletes will obviously want to be at a peak in late July of 2020.
    Last edited by cladthin; 08-01-2019 at 02:50 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Even if you compete hard in October (as in this year), it really isn't that hard for a pro coach to plan the rest/training cycle for a competition season that doesn't have to begin for another 7 months (May 2020).

6. Collapse Details

Hi All, thanks for all the input so far on this topic, certainly interesting how the athletes and coaches alike will plan and prep for a late peak this year and a July peak next year with the calendar changes.

7. Collapse Details

I would think it would make more sense to have a late season WC in the year AFTER the Olympics, BEFORE the "open" year. Not the year before the Olys.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    I would think it would make more sense to have a late season WC in the year AFTER the Olympics, BEFORE the "open" year. Not the year before the Olys.
    Agreed, but the selection of Doha, with its searing heat, it had to go later. I am sure we also agree that such extreme weather locations should take into account the possible impact on the sport, writ large.