Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by J2thaD View Post
    I disagree. The second leg is said to be the longest. Lyles should run that. He'll cover that 115 faster than any of the other three. I'd have Rogers, to Lyles to Coleman, to Gatlin.
    This business about the 2nd leg being longest is bogus. How far each athletes runs with the baton is dependent on where in the takeover zone each exchange takes place. Under the new rule, the zone is 30 meters long, with the "scratch line" being 20 meters into the zone. The scratch lines mark equal, 100-meter distances. So, if the first exchange takes place early in the zone, then the 2nd runner may cover more distance with the baton, depending on where the next exchange takes place.

    However, making the exchange with the baton going as fast as possible is much more important than having one runner carry the baton farther than another.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ?!
    With the lead Lyles gives him, that won't be necessary.
    Are you sure????
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,746
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Are you sure????
    Hey, I want Lyles anchoring too, but for a different reason - he's America's best and that's what fans want, the stud on anchor.
    If the stick gets around proficiently, it won't matter who anchors; no one else will be close.
    If it doesn't, it also won't matter who's running what.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post

    However, making the exchange with the baton going as fast as possible is much more important than having one runner carry the baton farther than another.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    And to make that efficient exchange with the baton means making the exchange deep in the zone, not early. The US men have adopted a preference for passing as soon as possible. That is why the US had the "early touch" rule vacated.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    This business about the 2nd leg being longest is bogus. How far each athletes runs with the baton is dependent on where in the takeover zone each exchange takes place. Under the new rule, the zone is 30 meters long, with the "scratch line" being 20 meters into the zone. The scratch lines mark equal, 100-meter distances. So, if the first exchange takes place early in the zone, then the 2nd runner may cover more distance with the baton, depending on where the next exchange takes place.

    However, making the exchange with the baton going as fast as possible is much more important than having one runner carry the baton farther than another.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Thanks for the input
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,114
    I still say Coleman, Gatlin, Norman and Lyles...

    Under 37
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    I think it's been proven over and over, that the guys on the American relay aren't as important as the passes they make.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    concord,ca
    Posts
    176
    every response has a missed an impt. pt. USA has a history of flubbing in big meets , whether its running out of zone or bad exchanges... Rogers and Gatlin have a history of smooth exchanges on the 1st, Coleman has been running 2s so he can handle the curve and obviously Lyles is the best making up ground
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by meatball View Post
    every response has a missed an impt. pt. USA has a history of flubbing in big meets , whether its running out of zone or bad exchanges... Rogers and Gatlin have a history of smooth exchanges on the 1st, Coleman has been running 2s so he can handle the curve and obviously Lyles is the best making up ground
    Rest assured, MeatBall, everyone here is very well aware of the history of the US 4x1 relays' Extraordinary failure rates. So you like Rodgers-Gatlin-Coleman-Lyles.
    CladThin thinks so also, and that's good enough for me.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    I think it's been proven over and over, that the guys on the American relay aren't as important as the passes they make.
    Well, can't argue with that.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •