Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    you like Rodgers-Gatlin-Coleman-Lyles.
    I thought it was agreed that the best starter (esp on the curve), CC, goes first.
    I'll stay on my earlier post. Rodgers can handle the passes if they are actually given the practice and run in a real race before Doha (!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Coleman (the starter - can handle turn) 10.1
    Rodgers (holds speed well - veteran) 9.0
    Gatlin (runs a great curve) 9.1
    Lyles (natch) 8.7
    = 36.9

2. Collapse Details

Historically, do the American relay teams get real practice and a chance to run in real competition before the WC or
    OGs?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by meatball View Post
    every response has a missed an impt. pt. USA has a history of flubbing in big meets , whether its running out of zone or bad exchanges... Rogers and Gatlin have a history of smooth exchanges on the 1st, Coleman has been running 2s so he can handle the curve and obviously Lyles is the best making up ground
    The Rodgers-Gatlin exchange was the cause of the DQ at Rio. But they did complete their pass at the last WC and I think the coaches will want to keep them in place as the 1-2.

Coleman is the number one 100m runner by virtue of his win at Trials and his preference will be given a lot of weight. If he is content to run third leg with Lyles anchor, maybe it goes that way. If Coleman wants anchor, I think he gets it and then it's a matter of whether Lyles is willing to take third leg and devote enough practice time to executing two exchanges.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Coleman is the number one 100m runner by virtue of his win at Trials and his preference will be given a lot of weight.
    Is there an advantage to putting CC first, who will undoubtedly give us a lead, so the pressure to pass perfectly is diminished?
    Then Rodgers holds that lead, gives to Gatlin, who also undoubtedly gives us a bigger lead, so that Lyles can get a safe hand-off, knowing that even if someone comes alongside him, he can blow them away.

5. Collapse Details

Is there an advantage to putting CC first, who will undoubtedly give us a lead, so the pressure to pass perfectly is diminished?
    Then Rodgers holds that lead, gives to Gatlin, who also undoubtedly gives us a bigger lead, so that Lyles can get a safe hand-off, knowing that even if someone comes alongside him, he can blow them away.
    You could argue it. I'm looking at the issue more from the "what will happen" rather than the "what I think should happen" perspective. And, as I say, as long as Rodgers and Gatlin are on the team, I think the coaches are going to want to keep them where they have been.

Now, if CC says he wants to lead off, that could change things, but I tend to doubt that scenario.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Historically, do the American relay teams get real practice and a chance to run in real competition before the WC or
    OGs?
    in many years one of the DL meets has stepped up and added 4x1(s) that the U.S. has taken advantage of.

Paris DL this year has 4x1s scheduled for both sexes (but I have no idea if Team USA is set to take advanage of that)

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    in many years one of the DL meets has stepped up and added 4x1(s) that the U.S. has taken advantage of.

Paris DL this year has 4x1s scheduled for both sexes (but I have no idea if Team USA is set to take advanage of that)
    Or if they would be able to get the foursome they prefer. I believe you mentioned the Nike connection with Rodgers-Gatlin-Coleman- Lyles.

On the ladies side, they lack the experience the men have this year, so I would think USATF
    Would try to get two squads of women to Paris to compete and do a little shopping.

Awhile back USATF liked a meet in Germany for a little practice.

8. Collapse Details

I thought it was agreed that the best starter (esp on the curve), CC, goes first.
    I'll stay on my earlier post. Rodgers can handle the passes if they are actually given the practice and run in a real race before Doha (!!).
    It was agreed? Sorry, I staked my lineup from the first post. See no reason to change my mind at this point. I would hope that the foursome Would be flexible as to which leg they ran - for the good of the team, of course . I always liked to have a short guy handing off to a tall guy with long arms; smaller width guys handing off to a wide body. These athletes can be pretty broad-shouldered and these Lane are not that wide. And as the US teams have learn, when you are so much faster than the team in the adjacent lanes, strange things can happen when their receivers are not or are just beginning to run as you whiz
    by!

9. Collapse Details

as the US teams have learned, when you are so much faster than the team in the adjacent lanes, strange things can happen when their receivers are not or are just beginning to run as you whiz by!
    Ha! Indeed.

10. Collapse Details

Or if they would be able to get the foursome they prefer. I believe you mentioned the Nike connection with Rodgers-Gatlin-Coleman- Lyles.
    Lyles is not sponsored by Nike, he runs for Adidas. Or maybe I'm reading this comment out of context?