Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Hybrid View

  1. Collapse Details
    US Men's 4x1 at World Athletics Championships
    #1
    Looks to be a no-brainer: Rodgers-Gatlin-Coleman-Lyles.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,744
    I think Allyson Felix should have a spot :-)
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I think Allyson Felix should have a spot :-)
    She is running 2nd leg for Gatlin in the the first round.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Looks to be a no-brainer: Rodgers-Gatlin-Coleman-Lyles.
    I disagree. The second leg is said to be the longest. Lyles should run that. He'll cover that 115 faster than any of the other three. I'd have Rogers, to Lyles to Coleman, to Gatlin.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by J2thaD View Post
    I disagree. The second leg is said to be the longest. Lyles should run that. He'll cover that 115 faster than any of the other three. I'd have Rogers, to Lyles to Coleman, to Gatlin.
    The second leg CAN be the longest; third leg could be just as LONG.
    But, you run your biggest new entertainer, Noah Lyles, in the star anchor role.
    That's why Bolt anchored, as he should have.
    I also like Gatlin between Rodgers and Coleman because of the chemistry they have.
    Until further notice, Lyles is the Anchorman!
    (Hope he comes up with better dance material, I know a choreographer that could help!)
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Right there.
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    The second leg CAN be the longest; third leg could be just as LONG.
    But, you run your biggest new entertainer, Noah Lyles, in the star anchor role.
    That's why Bolt anchored, as he should have.
    I also like Gatlin between Rodgers and Coleman because of the chemistry they have.
    Until further notice, Lyles is the Anchorman!
    (Hope he comes up with better dance material, I know a choreographer that could help!)
    I think if it comes down to those four (and it probably will) there are some interchangeable parts between those 2-4 legs (maybe more so than in other years) with Rodgers as the leadoff and others in various combinations. That said I, too, would go with the order you propose.
    Last edited by cladthin; 08-02-2019 at 03:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by J2thaD View Post
    I disagree. The second leg is said to be the longest. Lyles should run that. He'll cover that 115 faster than any of the other three. I'd have Rogers, to Lyles to Coleman, to Gatlin.
    This business about the 2nd leg being longest is bogus. How far each athletes runs with the baton is dependent on where in the takeover zone each exchange takes place. Under the new rule, the zone is 30 meters long, with the "scratch line" being 20 meters into the zone. The scratch lines mark equal, 100-meter distances. So, if the first exchange takes place early in the zone, then the 2nd runner may cover more distance with the baton, depending on where the next exchange takes place.

    However, making the exchange with the baton going as fast as possible is much more important than having one runner carry the baton farther than another.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post

    However, making the exchange with the baton going as fast as possible is much more important than having one runner carry the baton farther than another.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    And to make that efficient exchange with the baton means making the exchange deep in the zone, not early. The US men have adopted a preference for passing as soon as possible. That is why the US had the "early touch" rule vacated.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    This business about the 2nd leg being longest is bogus. How far each athletes runs with the baton is dependent on where in the takeover zone each exchange takes place. Under the new rule, the zone is 30 meters long, with the "scratch line" being 20 meters into the zone. The scratch lines mark equal, 100-meter distances. So, if the first exchange takes place early in the zone, then the 2nd runner may cover more distance with the baton, depending on where the next exchange takes place.

    However, making the exchange with the baton going as fast as possible is much more important than having one runner carry the baton farther than another.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Thanks for the input
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Isnít Coleman just about the best starter that weíve seen? Why not leverage that on lead-off?
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •