Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Early Pros

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Why question Irby and Richardson? They basically just turned pro.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I never understood Hoey going pro. Ajee Wilson was already on the cusp of world class and had pretty much beaten everyone in the world the same age as her. I don't think she would have gained much by thrashing NCAA competition for however long she did it. Hoey was clearly the best in the United States, but was just good in terms of a U20 internationally, and definitely would have gotten something out of competing in college.
    I think he just didn't like school and was happy to be done with attending classes and studying, and he considered Oregon only as a last resort in case no sponsor signed him as a pro.

Nothing wrong with that. Higher education isn't for everybody.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    I... Higher education isn't for everybody.
    unless you're Jeff Spicoli

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Sha'Carri Richardson, Candace Hill, Kate Hall, Tia Jones, Kaylin Whitney, Lynna Irby, Samantha Watson, Trentavis Friday, Kendal Williams, Josh Hoey all went pro early (at various ages). How is that working out for them?
    Worked fine for Justin Gatlin.

5. Collapse Details

on a side note, i believe trentavis friday had just as much upside if not more than Noah lyles over the 100m and 200m, watching him in 2014 as a junior was great.

but talent like that might just decide to turn up again one year out of nowhere, imagine having friday, bromell and baker show up next year with what we already have, one can dream i suppose.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by curtgod View Post
    on a side note, i believe trentavis friday had just as much upside if not more than Noah lyles over the 100m and 200m, watching him in 2014 as a junior was great.

but talent like that might just decide to turn up again one year out of nowhere, imagine having friday, bromell and baker show up next year with what we already have, one can dream i suppose.

I hope I am wrong, but I think Bromell is finished.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I hope I am wrong, but I think Bromell is finished.
    That seems to be the case. Don't think there was ever a full recovery from his achilles injury.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    That seems to be the case. Don't think there was ever a full recovery from his Achilles injury.
    which is such a shame given the what if when it comes to his ability, i know this is not the first time talent has been derailed either.

maybe in 100m terms rocket Ronnie will be back to full health next yr and who knows what cravon Gillespie might do?, i do hope bromell could mount a come back if not all the best with his business ventures.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Worked fine for Justin Gatlin.
    He spent 2 years in competing in college, so not as early as the one-and-dones or those who turned pro immediately after high school or while still in high school.

10. Collapse Details

There are a lot of variables that can play into how well a younger athlete performs as they age. The social support that comes from collegiate experience can be a great help to some, despite the obvious distractions of classes, etc. Others, like Noah Lyles and Alyson Felix seem to flourish without it.

Baseball has always allowed kids to go pro right out of high school (and even earlier). If they are unhappy with their draft position, they can enter college and be eligible for draft, later. (The rules for NCAA differ from JUCOs). Draft status is based on the potential that is seen in the athlete, at the time of the draft. Most players will find their draft status higher after three years of college, but that is not always the case.

In short, young athletes may well peak at different times. Someone who excels as an 18 year old, may have fulfilled most of the promise he has.