Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    US youth records
    Having recently created a wiki page for US junior records (indoors & out), I'm now working on a wiki page for US youth (under-18) records:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _athletics

But you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find such info. T&FN only has US junior & high school records listed on their site, while the records section on the USATF website is split into random age groupings, none of which is the standard 'youth' (under-18) age group.

If anyone has any additions/corrections for the ones already on the Wiki page, feel free to edit them in. I've not yet added the girls' youth records to the wiki page, but I have most of them already. The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: US youth records
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.
    IAAF have this as best US women's Youth DT:
    56.49 Melanie Uher 1 APR 1985 1 DeWitt, NE 16 APR 2002

3. Collapse Details
    Having recently created a wiki page for US junior records (indoors & out), I'm now working on a wiki page for US youth (under-18) records:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _athletics

But you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find such info. T&FN only has US junior & high school records listed on their site, while the records section on the USATF website is split into random age groupings, none of which is the standard 'youth' (under-18) age group.

If anyone has any additions/corrections for the ones already on the Wiki page, feel free to edit them in. I've not yet added the girls' youth records to the wiki page, but I have most of them already. The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.
    Looking at the description at the top of the wiki - I was pretty sure that the IAAF requirement for 'Youth' is that the athlete cannot turn 18 in the year of competition, not if they have already.

4. Collapse Details
    aaronk is temporarily on the banned list; in a day or two he might return. He has a very detailed list of youth records that he keeps.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    aaronk is temporarily on the banned list; in a day or two he might return. He has a very detailed list of youth records that he keeps.
    Maybe NOT "temporarily".......!!!
    But while I'm here......let me say that while I DO have age records in my T&F Record Book, they differ somewhat from the "youth" or "junior" record criteria!!

My age records don't go by just the year one was born, but the entire exact birth date!!
    Thus, an athlete born, say, on July 1, 1995, could set TWO age records in the same year......Hell, even just ONE DAY apart!!!!......if he/she broke an age 17 record on June 30 of this year.....then broke the age 18 mark the next day, on his/her 18th birthday, July 1.

The youth/junior criteria states, of course, that they can't turn 18 before the year ends....meaning, I guess, up to December 31!!

That said, Shelbi Vaughan was born August 24, 1994.....so her HSR of 198-9 was set when she was still 17, but since she turned 18 just 2 months later, probably does not qualify for the junior record.
    Or do I not understand the youth/junior criteria for records?

6. Collapse Details
    The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.

You can find "Youth" RW records at www.hsrw.net. Check the records area for all-time lists.

7. Collapse Details
    I don't know if you want to include ties but Jacob Davis jumped 5.33m as a 15 year old to tie the US youth PV record.

I think Cory Shank also was a 16 year old when he jumped 5.33 in high school but I don't know his birthday.

8. Collapse Details
    Would the USATF site help?
    http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records ... h&sport=TF

Edit to add: it seems like their 17-18 age group includes the 18 year olds, so would not apply

9. Collapse Details
    What throwing implements weights do you use?

http://bcathletics.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... get-girls/

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here
    Looking at the description at the top of the wiki - I was pretty sure that the IAAF requirement for 'Youth' is that the athlete cannot turn 18 in the year of competition, not if they have already.
    Correct; that is pretty much what the description says on the wiki page.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgato
    Would the USATF site help?
    http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records ... h&sport=TF
    Edit to add: it seems like their 17-18 age group includes the 18 year olds, so would not apply
    Not really (but thanks anyway! :-)). As I said above, the age groups are different and the lists aren't up-to-date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown
    I don't know if you want to include ties but Jacob Davis jumped 5.33m as a 15 year old to tie the US youth PV record.
    Excellent, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJR
    You can find "Youth" RW records at http://www.hsrw.net. Check the records area for all-time lists.
    Brilliant, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk
    Or do I not understand the youth/junior criteria for records?
    Basically, junior athletes have to remain under 20 years of age throughout the whole year of competition. So for this year, someone born in 1993 will be too old to be a junior as they will turn 20 this year. But someone born in 1994 will be a junior.
    For youth, it's the same rule but the cut-off age is 18. So for this season if someone is born in 1995 or earlier, they won't be a youth athlete as they'll turn 17 years old. But if they are born in 1996 or later, then they will be a youth athlete.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptn
    What throwing implements weights do you use?
    http://bcathletics.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... get-girls/
    Youth girls used to use senior implements, but it has changed this year to 3kg shot/hammer and 500g javelin.