Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I put Vashti Cunningham in a group of 7 people that will be battling for silver and bronze. There are some excellent young European jumpers that will energize the women's high jump event in the near future. Not sure if they will medal at Doha. But look for Mahuchikh, Taranda, and Junnila, to join Cunningham as the future of the event.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Maybe I should say 1 medal between the 100/200/400 ... if we actually got shut out in those 3 events, I would be searching the record books. When was the last time that happened? It's hard to imagine zero sprint medals.
    I think it happened in the 1976 Montreal Olympics. As far as I can remember, the US had individuals in finals but no medals. Obviously, 1980 doesn't count!

3. Collapse Details

If the US women medal in any of the sprints, I'd say probably best chance is in the w100 but completely dependent on what sort of form Bowie shows up in. She always seems to do well at the champs, but to get on the podium would probably mean knocking off one of SAFP/ET/DAS, not to mention to contend with the likes of Ta Lou, Schippers. I do not see a medal in w200 or w400.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    If the US women medal in any of the sprints, I'd say probably best chance is in the w100 but completely dependent on what sort of form Bowie shows up in. She always seems to do well at the champs, but to get on the podium would probably mean knocking off one of SAFP/ET/DAS, not to mention to contend with the likes of Ta Lou, Schippers. I do not see a medal in w200 or w400.
    Bowie's one advantage is likely that she gets a chance to peak at Doha while the others must maintain peaks.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    13 and they are very unlikely to get a sprint medal.
    Is Gold or Silver out of the question in the 4x1?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Is Gold or Silver out of the question in the 4x1?
    I guess we're talking about individual sprint medals. The US team is still clear favorite in the 4x4 and very likely medalist in the 4x1.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and likely winner of the mixed relay too?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    and likely winner of the mixed relay too?
    Mixed relay seems like a forgone gold. Not sure who can compete with even the USA b/c squad unless that country chooses to essentially skip a potential medal in the regular 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Relays - Hard to imagine any golds (maybe 4x4), but at least a bronze and a silver?
    Also why is a 4x400m gold hard to imagine? Who is competing with the depth of the USA? They can use Wimbley, Muhammad, McLaughlin and Francis and probably walk away from the field. That's not even considering Spencer, Ellis, Okolo, Joanthas, Beard, Felix, Carter etc...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Also why is a 4x400m gold hard to imagine? Who is competing with the depth of the USA? They can use Wimbley, Muhammad, McLaughlin and Francis and probably walk away from the field. That's not even considering Spencer, Ellis, Okolo, Joanthas, Beard, Felix, Carter etc...
    That's where the "off the top of my head" part comes in. I really hadn't researched other countries that might have 3:20-ish potential; it was just based on the fact that it didn't look like we had our usual strength -- and I didn't even think about McLaughlin or Muhammad. So yeah, I need to rethink that one!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Mixed relay seems like a forgone gold. Not sure who can compete with even the USA b/c squad unless that country chooses to essentially skip a potential medal in the regular 4x4.
    Why would they have to give up on the regular 4x4? The single-sex relays come a full week after the mixed. There's no reason you can't do both at top level.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...