Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    US is putting the hurdlers in the relay? I didn't know, i thought it would be Wimbley Ellis, Jonathas etc...
    I would be surprised to not see at least McLaughlin on the relay. But both McLaughlin and Muhammad have proven their flat 400m abilities this season on top of their hurdling.
    But as noted, the US pool is too deep regardless. Francis, Wimbley, McLaughlin, Ellis, Muhammad, Jonathas, Felix, Okolo, Spencer etc. Almost any combination of 4 from that group are favorites for Gold in Doha.
    Last edited by ATK; 09-05-2019 at 12:07 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Let's see how the individual 400m women perform in Doha first. They don't look very competitive in DLs.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Let's see how the individual 400m women perform in Doha first. They don't look very competitive in DLs.
    I believe the women's 4x400 relay in Doha is before the open 400 and 400 hurdles.

4. Collapse Details

Nope, the dopey mixed relays come first, the women / men relays are scheduled for the final day.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    I believe the women's 4x400 relay in Doha is before the open 400 and 400 hurdles.
    w400H F is Day 4
    w400 F is Day 8
    4x4 is the very last event, Day 10

The MIXED 4x4 is Day 3

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    w400H F is Day 4
    w400 F is Day 8
    Looks to me that McLaughlin, Muhammad and Spencer will be well rested and recovered by the time the relay rolls around.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    w400H F is Day 4
    w400 F is Day 8

The MIXED 4x4 is Day 3
    Thanks for the correction. I was looking at an outdated schedule.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Looks to me that McLaughlin, Muhammad and Spencer will be well rested and recovered by the time the relay rolls around.
    yes, Spencer can also run 400s. at the Big Ten Meet in Madison in 2012 I was officiating the lane lines in the first turn when she went and ran an absolutely unpressed 51.99 in the Heat, winning by 30-40m. Then, in the Final she runs a 51.01; great weather but the Wisconsin track is not at all in the league of the DL stadium or WCs etc. She was a little-known freshman at Illinois.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    yes, Spencer can also run 400s. at the Big Ten Meet in Madison in 2012 I was officiating the lane lines in the first turn when she went and ran an absolutely unpressed 51.99 in the Heat, winning by 30-40m. Then, in the Final she runs a 51.01; great weather but the Wisconsin track is not at all in the league of the DL stadium or WCs etc. She was a little-known freshman at Illinois.
    I think her 400m skills have been forgotten by many. After her 2 NCAA titles (50.28 in 2013) she had injuries outdoors for the rest of NCAAs and then failed to make the Rio team in the flat 400. Since then, she has essentially been a hurdler exclusively, only running a single 400m race in over 3 years. At this point, I would find it hard to believe she would not split 49 on a relay leg.

10. Collapse Details

Let's face it, the US ALWAYS lift their game in the 4x400. They have to start as favourites. However, there is some weakness this season with no Felix able to pop out a quick leg, which has, more often than not, made the difference between the US having a massive winning lead and not. JAM never quite lift themselves like the US do in this event, so whilst on paper they can win, the US still probably will.
    POL also have a habit of running out of their skin, but no way will they have enough this year to win gold if the US choose the right women in the right order.

The 4x100 is a different story. It should be JAM winning gold here, the US cant match their 2 x 10.7 women. GER should beat GBR for bronze, but it will be close.

Though Mihambo starts as favourite Reese obviously has the pedigree to win. They face off again in Minsk this weekend, so that may give us another clue, but Reese is a fighter and can pop out a big jump. Mihambo is faster this year though, and is able to jump far in rd 6. So Mihambo starts as favourite, but not a lock at all.

Likely no US medal in the 100 and definitely not in the 200. But in the 100 we still have a big ?? over Bowie who has only run the one DL and then smaller meets, inconsistently. Similarly Gardner has disappeared since the US Nationals, so we have absolutely no idea of what form she is in. We shall probably have to wait until Doha to see.

Going into London 2017 Francis had 5 races faster than her 2019 SB. She was, on paper, far faster that season. However, she had to qualify at the US Nationals in 2017, so the make up of her season then would have been different to this year. This year ahs can do a slow build up. But going into Doha with a SB of 50.76 doesn't suggest she will medal.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.