Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Reassessing 3 weeks out, I count, women and men (n.i. MxRs)

Men - 9 Gold / 14 medals [almost twice as many golds as silver and bronze combined?)

Women - 3 Gold / 13 medals

Total - 12/27

We could scooch up to 30 medals, but I feel 25 would be good.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Reassessing 3 weeks out, I count, women and men (n.i. MxRs)

Men - 9 Gold / 14 medals [almost twice as many golds as silver and bronze combined?)

Women - 3 Gold / 13 medals

Total - 12/27

We could scooch up to 30 medals, but I feel 25 would be good.
    Only 3 Golds for the US women? I would bet that number to go OVER. On paper, you might be right. There are 3 near locks for Gold (800, 400h, 4x400). And there are a few US women that are a close 2nd on paper. That will translate to 4 or 5 Golds, IMO. But I have been wrong before.
    Last edited by TWalsh; 09-04-2019 at 07:31 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    Only 3 Golds for the US women? I would bet that number to go OVER. On paper, you might be right. There are 3 near locks for Gold (800, 400h, 4x400). And there are a few US women that are a close 2nd on paper. That will translate to 4 or 5 Golds, IMO.
    My feelings exactly!
    I'm rooting for KHarr, Sandy, Ealey, and Price to up the haul.
    Reese has a shot but Mihambo has looked too strong.

On the men's side we have a reasonable shot at 10, which would be outstanding.
    Last edited by Atticus; 09-04-2019 at 07:51 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Only 3 Golds for the US women? I would bet that number to go OVER. On paper, you might be right. There are 3 near locks for Gold (800, 400h, 4x400). And there are a few US women that are a close 2nd on paper. That will translate to 4 or 5 Golds, IMO. But I have been wrong before.
    I don't think the 4x4 is a lock at all. On the contrary, can't remember the last time it seems so "easy" to beat the US. Wimbley and Ellis have run twice in Europe in August, both over 51s, Jonathas hasn't run at all since the trials and already has the NCAA season in her legs.
    I would add the hammer to the near locks, without Wlodarczyk i don't see anyone beating the US girls.
    Last edited by norunner; 09-04-2019 at 08:48 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    I would add the hammer to the near locks, without Wlodarczyk i don't anyone beating the US girls.
    The US women's record in WC suggests they usually don't do as well as their positions on world lists would indicate. If I had to do the predictions right now, I'd probably lean towards Zheng for gold.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

I don't think the 4x4 is a lock at all. On the contrary, can't remember the last time it seems so "easy" to beat the US. Wimbley and Ellis have run twice in Europe in August, both over 51s, Jonathas hasn't run at all since the trials and already has the NCAA season in her legs.
    I would add the hammer to the near locks, without Wlodarczyk i don't see anyone beating the US girls.

I disagree. The US women's 4x400 is more of a lock than the women's hammer. Jamaica is the only country that can give the US a run for their money. But they only have two reliable legs right now in Jackson and McPherson. Poland has an outside chance to win. But I think realistically, they will be battling for silver or bronze.
    Regarding the hammer, I wouldn't even call the US girls the favorites, let alone a lock to win gold. They just aren't reliable in championship competitions.

7. Collapse Details

Regarding the hammer, I wouldn't even call the US girls the favorites, let alone a lock to win gold. They just aren't reliable in championship competitions.
    I feel a sea-change! (Or is it Dorian just going by?)

8. Collapse Details

The two 400h gals are clearly better than you are figuring on, one has been running 49r legs for several years and I don't think that she is getting slower. And a 52.2 is a storming race over hurdles and has to easily be the equal of a 50-flat/49-low leg. The 3:23 was impressive but the two hurdlers might average 49.0 or better, and that makes a sub-3:20 a possibility, and Jamaica is not that deep, I don't think.

9. Collapse Details

US is putting the hurdlers in the relay? I didn't know, i thought it would be Wimbley Ellis, Jonathas etc...

10. Collapse Details

US is putting the hurdlers in the relay? I didn't know, i thought it would be Wimbley Ellis, Jonathas etc...
    They can put any athlete that is on the women's team on the relay. It would be incompetence to not consider the two US best athletes over 400m.