Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Don't bother looking for consistency in these situations.

In the cases of Carlos' brush spikes and Stepanov's 3-inch high jump shoe soles the equipment enhanced the performance of an already established world class athlete so the powers that be put the nix on those trends. Not many fans really felt they had been victimized.

Why the same prohibition did not apply to fiberglass vaulting poles is a mystery (with the exception of of the Munich OGs when American vaulters were deprived of their catapoles, also for no logical reason anyone could ever explain).

Leeper is in a very different category.
    IMHO, at this point in time a prohibition of bladed athletes would be a PR disaster for our sport. Leeper seems to be an uber-impressive, personable, well-spoken, all-around good guy who is a legit heroic role model for disabled athletes. And, I would bet, NBC suits are already hoping he will be huge "up close and personal" celebrity for their network ratings in 2020.

Average TV viewers whose only exposure to T&F occurs every 4 years would never be able to wrap their minds around the notion that blades are an advantage. Picture the reaction if a double amputee were banned from competing in a sport where former PED offenders are welcomed back. A logical argument for excluding Leeper is easy to formulate but on a social/emotional level the result would suck gas.

On the safety note, running at his current level Leeper would have to be considered for relay work. Could he deal with the shoving and lane-hopping that goes on in a long relay zone safely for himself and others?

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    'IMHO, at this point in time a prohibition of bladed athletes would be a PR disaster for our sport..."

I find that hard to believe....until last weekend I had completely forgotten about him....and it might be a PR disaster if the general public were paying the slightest attention....which they aren't...they are more focused on Semenya at this point....and that too shall pass out of the public's imagination....

Wait til some dude runs 40.0 in a DL meet with these things....then you have a problem...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-01-2019 at 01:11 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    On the safety note, running at his current level Leeper would have to be considered for relay work. Could he deal with the shoving and lane-hopping that goes on in a long relay zone safely for himself and others?
    No way that could be safe. He would have to be leg 1 which stays in the lane. The safety problem is because those blades don't go linearly down the lane like lower legs. They are flung side to side. They impinge on both adjacent lanes. The blade event should have wider lanes than the typical event for safety.

Also, even though it appears the blade runners would be well suited for an 800, they most definitely couldn't race that except as a time trial.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by moreover View Post

Also, even though it appears the blade runners would be well suited for an 800, they most definitely couldn't race that except as a time trial.
    Absolutely! When they break for the curb, or when everyone bunches up, there would surely be contact between the prosthetic and someone else's knee or leg. It would be bad for both.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Wait til some dude runs 40.0 in a DL meet with these things....then you have a problem...
    Maybe they could just put an appropriate symbol by the mark, as for altitude or wind.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    'IMHO, at this point in time a prohibition of bladed athletes would be a PR disaster for our sport..."

I find that hard to believe....until last weekend I had completely forgotten about him....and it might be a PR disaster if the general public were paying the slightest attention....which they aren't...they are more focused on Semenya at this point....and that too shall pass out of the public's imagination....

Even with weighted vest to make his weight "even" (Even to what/whom?) I still argue that the lack of lactic acid build up and the tissue that he does NOT have to perfuse is a massive advantage, especially at the end of the race.

That said, much like my take with Caster and Co. I want to see this taken to its (il)logical conclusion: burn it down! Give me my sub-40!!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details

The problem with the "burn it down" method is that you're still only appealing to the same population subset and it won't matter. A sub 40.00 sec 400m means nothing to most people. So they will not recognize the burn.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    The problem with the "burn it down" method is that you're still only appealing to the same population subset and it won't matter. A sub 40.00 sec 400m means nothing to most people. So they will not recognize the burn.
    Maybe...but I wan't US so furious that we either boycott...or I don't know...something. But that's where I'm at. I want the absurdity so obvious that maybe even the casual fan will get fired up. Sure will make things messy come Oly time.

"shrug emoji"
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 08-01-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

9. Collapse Details

Are there any "bladed" HJers???

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Are there any "bladed" HJers???
    I have seen HJers with prosthetics but not the long blades you see in sprints and LJ. I don't know why - maybe the poor initial acceleration with 2 blades is a disadvantage or they don't work with a curved approach or perhaps it is very difficult to get the right trajectory at take-off?