Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    prosthetics now an advantage? [split]
    In about 2006-07 I was a visiting professor at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC. I got to visit the wards, see the patients, saw a lot of amputees, and talked to the CPOs (certified prosthetists-orthotists). Learned a lot. The US military and their CPOs probably know more about amputations and prosthetics than anybody in the world.

I saw a number of cases at morning report. They always asked my opinion and I would comment on them, usually trying someway to save the extremity. Often I was corrected by the WR orthopaedists, who said they would opt for an amputation. They said their prosthetists and prosthetics were so good that the soldiers often opted for the amputation because to them they were better than a damaged limb.

This was in the middle of the Pistorius controversy so I asked the CPOs about that. They said they were on the verge of making competition prosthetics that were better than a normal limb in terms of energy return. I brought this up to a USA Today reporter who asked me about it when interviewing me about Pistorius and she absolutely roasted me on the phone about that opinion.

I would suspect the military prosthetists have now gotten those prosthetics to where they are better than a limb in terms in energy return.

I think what Blake Leeper is doing is incredible but as somebody else commented, its a slippery slope we're going down.

2. Collapse Details

Blade running is a different event than what the other competitors are running. As pointed out, in the 400 the blade runners don't even look similar because of the huge negative split. The "advantage" standard is impossible to prove because of the small sample size and no control group. This is actually the same discussion about the PAIS individuals, with maybe an even smaller sample size. That "advantage" standard came out of nowhere and should never be used because it's impossible to prove - conversely, if the athletes had to prove no advantage they could not do that either. It sets up an endless rabbit hole. What is clear is that the events are different, and that should be enough to mean they aren't competed at the same time in championships.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by moreover View Post
    Blade running is a different event than what the other competitors are running. As pointed out, in the 400 the blade runners don't even look similar because of the huge negative split. The "advantage" standard is impossible to prove because of the small sample size and no control group. This is actually the same discussion about the PAIS individuals, with maybe an even smaller sample size. That "advantage" standard came out of nowhere and should never be used because it's impossible to prove - conversely, if the athletes had to prove no advantage they could not do that either. It sets up an endless rabbit hole. What is clear is that the events are different, and that should be enough to mean they aren't competed at the same time in championships.
    Small sample size indeed. When someone hits the ball to the moon and back as in 41.27, the apple cart will tumble. They are very different events.

4. Collapse Details

What will the IAAF do when the inevitable happens; someone breaks a WR with blades? Endless court battles I'm afraid. Blades are a separate event and they have their own rules and competitions. I don't feel that they should compete in regular events. I was there for the semi where Leeper ran 44.38 and I can tell you, the crowd where I was sitting did not view it favorable. It looked like he was going at least 10% faster than anyone else on the back straight.

5. Collapse Details

It looked to me like under the right race conditions (deeper field, perfect weather, whatever) that Leeper is ready for a deep 43x run right now. This whole issue might explode to the front of the "issue line" sooner than later.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

6. Collapse Details

Close the door now or be ready to deal with many court battles and more claims of unfair competition in the future. No doubt in my mind that prosthetics will become so advanced that they will provide a clear advantage(if they don't already). Some high jumper with a prosthesis on his/her take off leg...oh my!
    I can just imagine Lewis Johnson and the other hacks on NBC (Ato and the Brit) becoming nearly incoherent over Leeper "making the team"...whatever sells!
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 07-27-2019 at 04:40 PM.

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post

This was in the middle of the Pistorius controversy so I asked the CPOs about that. They said they were on the verge of making competition prosthetics that were better than a normal limb in terms of energy return. I brought this up to a USA Today reporter who asked me about it when interviewing me about Pistorius and she absolutely roasted me on the phone about that opinion.

bambam, what did she roast you about? Your ability to have a medical opinion, or that it was different from hers? You are spot on regarding the potential slippery slope.

9. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post

If that was who I think it was I'm not surprised. I'm sure you weren't either.
    There are no strings on me

10. Collapse Details
    prosthetics now an advantage? [split]
    Administrator
    this split off from USATF m400 story