Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Early Pros

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Early Pros
    Sha'Carri Richardson, Candace Hill, Kate Hall, Tia Jones, Kaylin Whitney, Lynna Irby, Samantha Watson, Trentavis Friday, Kendal Williams, Josh Hoey all went pro early (at various ages). How is that working out for them?

2. Collapse Details

Probably not as well as for Allyson Felix, Michael Norman, Rai Benjamin, Ajee' Wilson, Donavan Brazier and a few others.

3. Collapse Details

There are also many athletes who went pro after four years and never progress much in the pro careers.

4. Collapse Details

It varies from athlete to athlete. It works for some, but not for others. Just like in basketball. Those one and dones don't always work out either.

5. Collapse Details

I never understood Hoey going pro. Ajee Wilson was already on the cusp of world class and had pretty much beaten everyone in the world the same age as her. I don't think she would have gained much by thrashing NCAA competition for however long she did it. Hoey was clearly the best in the United States, but was just good in terms of a U20 internationally, and definitely would have gotten something out of competing in college.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I don't think she would have gained much by thrashing NCAA competition for however long she did it.
    Didn't Mondo jump 6.05 win Euros some DLs, but then go to NCAAs and loose the outdoor title?
    I think we forget that the competition doesn't stay the same. Athletes respond and rise to the occasion. I'm sure Wilson would have been very fast/dominant, but others (likely Rogers) would have gave her a lot of competition.

7. Collapse Details

I think the field events are different from a track event, where the collegiate system is a good way to learn how to race. As demonstrated from her 2013, where she ran 1:58, I don't think she would have gained anything from crushing her competition while running at FSU.

Not to mention, she would lose coaching continuity.

8. Collapse Details

For Richardson and Irby, it is important to remember that they have come off of a very long collegiate season. Too soon to pass judgement on these two very talented women.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    For Richardson and Irby, it is important to remember that they have come off of a very long collegiate season. Too soon to pass judgement on these two very talented women.
    Irby only ran indoors then went pro.

10. Collapse Details

It's same as not just any sport, but any endeavour. Some start early and it works fabulously and for a long time. Others start later, works great. Whether it's business, politics, academics, art, music, etc. I've got friends who finished college at 19 and made great careers, folks who finished at 26 and did even better - seen musicians as young superstars who never turned the corner - kids who were scratch golfers at age 12 that never got any better (and a guy in my office who took up golf in his early 50's and just missed making the Senior PGA tour 2 years ago).