Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tianna Bartoletta's "Clipped Wings"
    WOW!!
    Her blog post (Ain't I always promoting MY blog posts? Well, now I'm promoting this one by Tianna!!) is absolutely sensational---and revealing.

She describes IN DETAIL what went down in preparing for that solo 4X100 in Rio from lane one.
    She reveals her lonely battle with herself as she knelt in that heat, waiting for the gun!
    She tells (Again, in pretty good detail!) what she said to Orin Richburg about her NOT being the lead leg in London!

It must be known to most fans by now that her marriage ended, due to abuse by her husband.
    And that she'd been homeless for 3 months prior to London!
    And that she had to leave without her belongings, money, or anything else but the clothes on her back---and her pride!

This blog post (Clipped Wings---on the front page!) is incredible---definitely the best by anyone's I've ever read---including my own! LOL

I am now one of her biggest fans!!
    And NOT for her athletic accomplishments!!

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    already under discussion on the 4x1 thread.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    It must be known to most fans by now that . . . she'd been homeless for 3 months prior to London!
    First I'm hearing about it! I bet if there had been a gofundme, lots of track fans would have contributed. If there was, I sure never heard of that either. I would have sent money. USATF doesn't have an emergency fund for team members?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    already under discussion on the 4x1 thread.
    Thanks.
    But I think we should keep THIS thread going---and separate from the London 4X1 thread.

1. This thread is about a blog post, not specifically about one event in London!

2. Because it also has info about Rio!

3. And her personal life's problems.

4. AND because---as I noted earlier---this is the BEST blog post by ANYONE I've read----if not forever, then for awhile!

HER story deserves singling out from the GENERAL story of that one WC event!

5. Collapse Details

Didn't she come like, 8th at the US trials? I get that she's experienced and capable, but I don't get her sense of entitlement about the position. There were a number of athletes who beat her.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by upchuckserious View Post
    Didn't she come like, 8th at the US trials? I get that she's experienced and capable, but I don't get her sense of entitlement about the position. There were a number of athletes who beat her.
    Maybe so, but you should take into account her life at the time of USATF!
    She'd left her marriage, and had been homeless (though I'm sure friends & family provided places to stay!) for about 6 or 7 weeks back then.
    Not sure, but maybe her training had been through changes too, as she was maybe moving around!
    Also the emotional burden she was carrying!

Maybe I'm over-sympathizing with her, because of her off-track story, but you can't deny her experience, and her track record (sic!) in relays!
    I can't accept that Aliyah Brown was a better choice than her!!

7. Collapse Details

For the record, Bartoletta finished sixth in the second semifinal of the 100 at the USATF Championships in Sacramento, 0.11 behind Brown, and thereby failed to qualify for the final. Unfortunately, as discussed in the 4100 thread, Bartoletta's sprint performances this year did not merit inclusion in the relay.

As the defending world champion, she had already qualified for the World Championships in the long jump, and after competing in the 100, could have departed sweaty Sacramento. Instead, not only did she enter the long jump the day after the 100 semifinals, but she performed magnificently, with three jumps beyond seven meters (23 feet), all good enough to defeat the eventual world champion, Brittney Reese. So whatever was happening in her life leading up to the USATF Championships, I doubt it affected her performance.

8. Collapse Details

So Bartoletta finished 0.11 behind Brown.
    Tell me---if they raced 10 times in 100's, how many would Brown win?
    Methinks very few!!
    1 in 10?
    2 in 10?
    If I were a betting man---in a head-to-head 10 race match-up (between Brown & Bartoletta only!)---my money goes on Bartoletta!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Davidokun View Post

As the defending world champion, she had already qualified for the World Championships in the long jump, and after competing in the 100, could have departed sweaty Sacramento. Instead, not only did she enter the long jump the day after the 100 semifinals, but she performed magnificently, with three jumps beyond seven meters (23 feet), all good enough to defeat the eventual world champion, Brittney Reese. So whatever was happening in her life leading up to the USATF Championships, I doubt it affected her performance.
    In her mixed zone interview after not making the 100m final, Bartoletta attributed her performance to a combination of her primary focus being the LJ, plus things going on in her business and personal life. Back in June when I first heard those words, I wondered what could be going on. Now that we know a bit more, (and considering her past relay experience) I cannot begrudge this consummate professional for continuing to seek that leadoff relay spot after Sacramento.

Interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvUmfJ-fnQE
    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 08-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    So Bartoletta finished 0.11 behind Brown.
    Tell me---if they raced 10 times in 100's, how many would Brown win?
    Methinks very few!!
    1 in 10?
    2 in 10?
    If I were a betting man---in a head-to-head 10 race match-up (between Brown & Bartoletta only!)---my money goes on Bartoletta!!
    I'm glad USATF settles things on the track and not with selection committees in smoke-filled rooms, like other countries do. What say you?