Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Fun enough race to watch, but why those fighting for the standard didn't take it out early is way beyond my comprehension. The first half of the race was dreadfully slow, thus taking away any chance of anyone new reaching the standard. We all laughed when the announcer tried to drum up the crowd by stating that Taylor had a chance to meet that standard. At that point she'd have had to run a final 4:20 1600 to do it!

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    In the 10,000, being NACAC champion isn't an automatic qualifier, but her time is close enough that I'm guessing she'll be accepted.
    looking at the Road To Doha numbers I'm not sure she is close enough, although I have no idea how many scratches will come off that list.

3. Collapse Details

Carrie Dimoff could be a blessing or a curse. IAAF could argue that the US has three with the standard, so why should we give you a wild card? On the other hand, USATF could argue, we have three with the standard, so as long as we send three, you might as well give us the wild card, won't change the numbers.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    just so we don't get confused on terminology, traditionally Wild Card means the right to send a fourth person, so what Hall is in line for is a "bonus" qualifier.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404 View Post
    Fun enough race to watch, but why those fighting for the standard didn't take it out early is way beyond my comprehension. The first half of the race was dreadfully slow, thus taking away any chance of anyone new reaching the standard. We all laughed when the announcer tried to drum up the crowd by stating that Taylor had a chance to meet that standard. At that point she'd have had to run a final 4:20 1600 to do it!
    That happened in 2012 with the women...

6. Collapse Details

Fun enough race to watch, but why those fighting for the standard didn't take it out early is way beyond my comprehension.
    It's much easier for viewers on TV to notice when the pace is too slow, than it is for athletes actually on the track. We have the benefit of an always-visible clock and a view of how clustered or spread out the entire group is, while they can only see the few athletes immediately in front of and beside them. Eventually they'll get a glimpse of the clock and/or realize that they're not tired enough for a certain point of the race, but by then it's often too late.

The best athletes will have a good fine-tuned internal sense of pace, but the best are also likely to already have the standard and therefore don't need to worry about trying to get it during the trials race.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    It's much easier for viewers on TV to notice when the pace is too slow, than it is for athletes actually on the track. We have the benefit of an always-visible clock and a view of how clustered or spread out the entire group is, while they can only see the few athletes immediately in front of and beside them. Eventually they'll get a glimpse of the clock and/or realize that they're not tired enough for a certain point of the race, but by then it's often too late.

The best athletes will have a good fine-tuned internal sense of pace, but the best are also likely to already have the standard and therefore don't need to worry about trying to get it during the trials race.
    Disagree. Most runners wear watches, much as they would during training, thus no internal clock is necessary. Also, presumably most of the runners have coaches on the rail telling them what they need to do if they're not doing it. Some of us chuckled when Huddle took a peek at her watch as she was a few feet away from the giant clock by the finish line.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Disagree. Most runners wear watches, much as they would during training, thus no internal clock is necessary. Also, presumably most of the runners have coaches on the rail telling them what they need to do if they're not doing it. Some of us chuckled when Huddle took a peek at her watch as she was a few feet away from the giant clock by the finish line.
    Right....I've run lots of distance races on the track including Hayward...you know what you need if you are going for a time...and plenty of ways to find out during the race....

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    looking at the Road To Doha numbers I'm not sure she is close enough, although I have no idea how many scratches will come off that list.
    What's the URL for Road to Doha, please?
    Thanks,
    Alan Shank

10. Collapse Details