Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    I said they could...not that they would at WC's...how's that for hedging my bet?
    hedge denied!

49.5+48.5+48.5+48.5 adds up to 3:15.0, beating the record by 0.2.

taking nothing away from the U.S. foursome, whomever it is, but I'm willing to suggest rather strongly that no matter what the combo, not a single leg in Doha will match/better that.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i eagerly await your projection of the PR-for-each splits that would be required to run 3:15.1.
    I assumed he was joking.

3. Collapse Details

The world record was set in Seoul in, pardon the cliché, an epic seesaw battle between an American team with 2 Olympic champions running the last 2 legs and a Soviet team that had 2 sub-48 legs. No matter who is on any team in the next several years, there won't be two teams going at it like 1988.
    And if one team was capable of challenging the record, they'd be running solo.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-15-2019 at 02:32 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Talk of the US being able to break the 4x4 this year....and none of them have broken 50 secs yet? Okaaaaaaay....

This year, on paper, they will be lucky to beat Jamaica. Of course, we know the US raise their game like no one else in the 4x4, but there really is a chance that Jamaica could beat them again as they did in 2015. There is no sub 50 sec Felix able to run a sub 48/sub 49 leg; regular experienced runners like SRR, Hastings, McCorory wont be running and more than ever, running order will be critical. The USA should win, but stranger things have happened....

5. Collapse Details

Maybe the best data would come from the NCAA meets with 400h runners on the 4x400. 43.52 was the mark following his 47.02, so using 0.7 that is 44.22, so 2.80. In that same race there were several other top 400h runners.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    one problem with relay data is that not all legs are created equal, with second-leggers very frequently producing anomalously fast splits.

7. Collapse Details

If you have enough data you could estimate a 2nd-leg effect, but yes there are effects of the legs. For 2nd, the first handoff is in a clean zone and the 4th only has one handoff, and often that one is cleaner with less traffic.

8. Collapse Details

Even the 1st leg can have an artificially slow split if the 2nd leg takes the baton from a standstill. The anchor is the only leg that pretty much controls his/her own destiny when comes to relay splits.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-15-2019 at 11:20 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    one problem with relay data is that not all legs are created equal, with second-leggers very frequently producing anomalously fast splits.
    I would guess that's because the first handoff is much harder to time accurately.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I suspect it is more likely they get a running start and don't have to run in lane 1 for a turn.