Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 240
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    DM is now the prey and SM the hunter, so DM should 'let' (ha!!) SM win to reverse that situation. I think SM will go 52-high and DM 53-low.
    That might make some sense were it not for the fact that first place prize money in Zurich is $50,000 and 2nd place is $20,000.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,421
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    That might make some sense were it not for the fact that first place prize money in Zurich is $50,000 and 2nd place is $20,000.
    Point. SM is set (for life!) with her contract, but DM can use the money, I bet.
    OTOH, winning in Doha could/should more than make up the $30K difference (if the psych principle I am employing actually works), factoring in all the financial incentives.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-20-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,353
    I don't think letting someone else win is ever a good plan.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Point. SM is set (for life!) with her contract, but DM can use the money, I bet.
    OTOH, winning in Doha could/should more than make up the $30K difference (if the psych principle I am employing actually works), factoring in all the financial incentives.
    Life is a long time.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,421
    Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    I don't think letting someone else win is ever a good plan.
    I used the wrong words. How about, use the race to work on some technical matters, rather than focus on the win. I have often done that with my tracksters. "I want you to blast the first 200 and see how you manage. You may tie up and lose, but we've just acclimated your body to a faster initial speed."
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Point. SM is set (for life!) with her contract, but DM can use the money, I bet.
    Felix/Nike should be proof that no athlete is set for life with their contract. (Maybe Bolt is though).

    And what has indicated that the reigning Olympic champion, 2 time world silver medalist and current world record holder could use the extra money?
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    And what has indicated that the reigning Olympic champion, 2 time world silver medalist and current world record holder could use the extra money?
    I have exactly zero inside knowledge, but as a generic answer I would look at the list of grant receivers on this thread.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...ndation-Grants
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,421
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    And what has indicated that the reigning Olympic champion, 2 time world silver medalist and current world record holder could use the extra money?
    Because she is 'only' a w400Her. SM is the rich one in that event because of her substantial outside contracts.

    As noted above, DM got a $25K grant; SM got nada (cuz she don't need it!)
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Because she is 'only' a w400Her. SM is the rich one in that event because of her substantial outside contracts.

    As noted above, DM got a $25K grant; SM got nada (cuz she don't need it!)
    I thought the grants were merit based, not needs based.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-21-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    You have to apply for a grant to get one, I believe.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •