Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    I love the passion of Shamir Little. If she doesn't improve her hurdling form though I think she will continue to be shut out. If she can't, I'd like to see her try the 800.
    Why would an athlete who has run 50.40 on the flat and shown absolutely no inclination ever to try an 800 do so?

2. Collapse Details

I love the passion of Shamir Little. If she doesn't improve her hurdling form though I think she will continue to be shut out. If she can't, I'd like to see her try the 800.
    Shamier. It's not like she is "continuing" being shut out.

In 2014, she won the NCAA (55.07) and was world U20 champion in 400H and the 4x4.
    In 2015, she won NCAA in 53.74, USATF in 53.83, and finished 2nd to Zuzana Hejnova in Beijing.
    In 2016, she won NCAA again in 53.51, did get "shut out" in USATF, but won Zurich DL in 53.97.
    In 2017, her first post-collegiate season, she finished 2nd to Muhammad in 52.75, but missed out in the semis in London.
    Last year, she broke 54 six times, including winning the USATF, two DL races, was NACAC champion (53.32 SB), 2nd in Zurich and the Continental Cup.
    She won Lausanne this year, 53.73.

This is not the picture of a hurdler whose form prevents her from reaching a very, very high level, in both times and accomplishments:
    3 NCAA titles
    NACAC title
    2 USATF titles
    1 world silver medal
    a few DL wins and lots "of podiums"
    a PB of 52.75 (same as Sydney's)
    3 more sub-53.50s
    top ten times averaging 53.512

She's not as consistent as Muhammad, but who is?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Shamier. It's not like she is "continuing" being shut out.

In 2014, she won the NCAA (55.07) and was world U20 champion in 400H and the 4x4.
    In 2015, she won NCAA in 53.74, USATF in 53.83, and finished 2nd to Zuzana Hejnova in Beijing.
    In 2016, she won NCAA again in 53.51, did get "shut out" in USATF, but won Zurich DL in 53.97.
    In 2017, her first post-collegiate season, she finished 2nd to Muhammad in 52.75, but missed out in the semis in London.
    Last year, she broke 54 six times, including winning the USATF, two DL races, was NACAC champion (53.32 SB), 2nd in Zurich and the Continental Cup.
    She won Lausanne this year, 53.73.

This is not the picture of a hurdler whose form prevents her from reaching a very, very high level, in both times and accomplishments:
    3 NCAA titles
    NACAC title
    2 USATF titles
    1 world silver medal
    a few DL wins and lots "of podiums"
    a PB of 52.75 (same as Sydney's)
    3 more sub-53.50s
    top ten times averaging 53.512

She's not as consistent as Muhammad, but who is?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    And was a stutter-step from finishing second or third this weekend.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    And was a stutter-step from finishing second or third this weekend.
    a stutter step cost her over a second?? Essentially you’re saying she would’ve possibly ran 52.7 or 8.

Could be wrong, but I didn’t see that. Even getting third was very questionable at best imo.����*♂️

5. Collapse Details

Way back when, I remember Hemery running the high hurdles (even indoors?) as well as the indoor 600s. He had the form and the strength.
    The British all-time 60mH list shows that Hemery ran 7.9 in February '69 just a few months after his Olympic Gold in Mexico.

6. Collapse Details

Little looked devastated at finishing fourth.

Not just the pain of the race...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    Little looked devastated at finishing fourth.

Not just the pain of the race...
    Agreed! And she knew it about 150 out...when Muhammed hammered-down you could see Little's "Oh crap" grimace. I felt for her, but was equally mesmerized by SM and DM's performances.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    This is critical. I'm calling it right now - whoever has the inside position between McLaughlin and Muhammad will win in Doha. Neither will break the WR though - air will be bone dry and barometric pressure likely will be sky-high.
    Could you please explain how this affect performance and bu how much?

9. Collapse Details

GREAT article on home page about DM's plan for the race. As a long-time hurdler and hurdles coach (and fan!), I loved the whole thing - short(er) excerpt:

Muhammad’s initial plan was to take 15 steps between hurdles through the first nine hurdles. She planned to be on her right dominant leg and then switch over on the 10th. The plan changed when she took the lead. Muhammad then made the leg change over the eighth hurdle just 36.39 seconds into the race.
    Muhammad heard Johnson’s voice by the eighth hurdle when he yelled, “Drop your arms!” When Muhammad finds her groove, she tends to start carrying her arms just a little higher, which shortens her stride length and may result in taking an extra step. Dropping her arms opens up her stride to feel smoother and less stressed.
    She avoided disaster at the eighth hurdle and by the ninth, Muhammad had gapped McLaughlin and Spencer.
    Johnson calls Muhammad’s tenth hurdle “decent” and she thinks it was “terrible” Some time was lost because she hung in the air for too long and her lead leg was a little too far extended.
    “If she ran the perfect race, I think she would have run 51.6 or 51.7,” Johnson says.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-08-2019 at 07:09 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    cutting and pasting "excerpts" that long is forbidden