Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

No one really knows what Allyson Felix has made in her career or what McLaughlin is making, nor do we know how different athletes have managed their money. Maybe Felix is set for life but it wouldn't surprise me if I found out she was living paycheck to paycheck.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    posts here were starting to dupe the separate thread on FOundation grants; they have been moved to that thread

3. Collapse Details

On the IAAF preview for Zurich, it mentioned that if Muhammad or McLaughlin win the Diamond League, the US could chose them as the wild card (instead of Carter as defending champ) and add Little as 4th placer to the team. Is that true? I mean, technical it’s lossible, but what has USATF said to that effect. Has Carter shown fitness? Or a lack of fitness that would tip the scales in favor of Little?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dupontred View Post
    On the IAAF preview for Zurich, it mentioned that if Muhammad or McLaughlin win the Diamond League, the US could chose them as the wild card (instead of Carter as defending champ) and add Little as 4th placer to the team. Is that true? I mean, technical it’s lossible, but what has USATF said to that effect. Has Carter shown fitness? Or a lack of fitness that would tip the scales in favor of Little?
    Technically, as far as I know, it's up to the country to choose who they want as the wild card, the world champ or DL champ. I think the US has said when this was first implemented that the World Champ will always have the Wild card, so the team is basically already set.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    It's indeed up to the country to choose.

I can't verify one way or another if US has said it will "always" be the reigning world champ, but that has always been the case so far.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Technically, as far as I know, it's up to the country to choose who they want as the wild card, the world champ or DL champ. I think the US has said when this was first implemented that the World Champ will always have the Wild card, so the team is basically already set.
    Which is stupid. The athlete with the better season should be chosen.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    that could come down to some ugly judgment calls; better that the decision is made objectively from the get-go.

8. Collapse Details

The selection procedures are not as clear on this point as they might have been, but they do seem to say that in an event where the reigning world champion and the 2019 DL winner are both Americans and are different people, it's the reigning champ who gets the wild card.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    that could come down to some ugly judgment calls; better that the decision is made objectively from the get-go.
    Who comes up ahead at USAs get the spot. Simple.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Who comes up ahead at USAs get the spot. Simple.
    Well technically, you can argue that because Carter is the world champ, she was already "ahead" and everyone else was competing for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spots at USAs.

Also the idea of 1-2-3 at USA's conflicts with your earlier point of the athlete with the better season getting the spot.