Facts, Not Fiction

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Athletes like Privolova and Pechonkina don't tell you much since they have so few data points in the 400 hurdles and open 400, respectively. Instead, I would look at athletes like Angelo Taylor and Ashley Spencer, since they've both devoted considerable time to their secondary events during their careers. Taylor has a differential of 3.20s and Spencer 2.83s.
    As I pointed out, people devote different amounts of time to the 2 events, which makes it impossible to compare everyone. Privalova and Gunnell make an interesting contrast. Neither has many data points in the "weaker" event, and the differentials are, well, very different. Gunnell's differential was much more like what I'd expect before she began her rapid improvement over the barriers.

I agree it makes sense to look at athletes with similar histories to get a realistic picture of how long it takes a competent hurdler to get through those sticks - one who also has plenty of experience racing without them.

2. Collapse Details

What facts are this assertion based on?
    Nice! Put the burden of proof on the other guy, instead of trying to prove the equally unprovable other side.
    They're both primarily 400Hers, who have also run the 400.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Nice! Put the burden of proof on the other guy, instead of trying to prove the equally unprovable other side.
    They're both primarily 400Hers, who have also run the 400.
    The burden of proof always falls on the person making the assertion. Folks offering speculation and conjecture don't have this burden. The bottom line is that the coaches should consider Muhammad for the relay considering how weak the 400 final was this year.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Another thing to look at is 4x400 splits from championships meets by athletes who also ran the 400 hurdles in the same meet. For example, what was Sydney McLaughlin's split in last year's SEC Outdoor Championships after she ran 52.75 earlier in the day?
    Good point. And look at those with good relay splits period when the 400 pr makes for an "odd" differential.

5. Collapse Details

The burden of proof always falls on the person making the assertion. Folks offering speculation and conjecture don't have this burden. The bottom line is that the coaches should consider Muhammad for the relay considering how weak the 400 final was this year.
    The assertions (opinions) come from both sides.
    I totally agree that DM (and SM) should be in the 4x4 conversation. Same as Rai B.

6. Collapse Details

A team of McLaughlin, Muhammad, Wimbley and Spencer could break the world record...except with 3 400h's don't know how much they will have left in the tank.

7. Collapse Details

Muhammad and McLaughlin rank #4 and #6 on the 2019 American 400 performance list respectively.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    A team of McLaughlin, Muhammad, Wimbley and Spencer could break the world record.....
    i eagerly await your projection of the PR-for-each splits that would be required to run 3:15.1.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i eagerly await your projection of the PR-for-each splits that would be required to run 3:15.1.
    Nowhere near 3:15.1

I'd go with the following squad at worlds....

Wimbley - 49.7
    McLaughlin - 48.8
    Muhammad - 49.3
    Ellis - 49.4

3:17.2

Total

10. Collapse Details

I said they could...not that they would at WC's...how's that for hedging my bet?