Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I'm hoping that it's Spencer.

I'm rooting against Kori Carter after she entered the 200 yesterday and ran 28 seconds. That's not even a training run.
    Are you rooting against Christian Taylor, after he ran through once and left the field, just like he did in 2017?

Her performance here should have nothing to do with anything, IMO.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

2. Collapse Details

I watched the video again on YouTube. Muhammad had a minor chop on hurdle 8, so she was not perfect! There might be more there.

When she was pulling away so far, I thought the others were fading -- until I saw the flash time! 52.17! At least Tim Hutchings said "corrected", not "rounded up".

I feel bad for Shamier, a really fine runner.

BTW, 400 PBs:
    SM 50.07 (2018)
    Spencer 50.28 (in 2013)
    Little 50.40 (2017)
    DM 50.60 (this year)

Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I'm rooting against Kori Carter after she entered the 200 yesterday and ran 28 seconds. That's not even a training run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Are you rooting against Christian Taylor, after he ran through once and left the field, just like he did in 2017?
    I'm rooting against USATF for maintaining the must-compete rule for wild card holders, without including an honest effort requirement.

Either it should be entirely voluntary to show up, or mandatory with some minimum performance standards. It doesn't do the fans, the athletes or USATF any good for them to show up and deliberately foul out or perform at a middle school level.

The penalty for half-assing it doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't) be exclusion from the team; options include having them pay their own way to the Worlds or Olympics.

4. Collapse Details

I agree fully.

And defending champion's bye should not supercede the DL champion's. Usatf should make the decision on who to select based on their performance all season.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    This is critical. I'm calling it right now - whoever has the inside position between McLaughlin and Muhammad will win in Doha. Neither will break the WR though - air will be bone dry and barometric pressure likely will be sky-high.
    Hey Sydney, did you see this? If someone capable of winning ends up between you and Dalilah, stay with that person. Stay right there til just after hurdle 8 then floor it.

That means Spencer or Hejnova, or both. Of course, if they're letting Muhammad get away, change of plans.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 07-30-2019 at 12:11 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    I agree fully.

And defending champion's bye should not supercede the DL champion's. Usatf should make the decision on who to select based on their performance all season.
    Just have both compete at the trials and then the higher-placed athlete at the trials gets to use the wild card.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    I agree fully.

Yep. This would be fair especially in this case where Carter has been pulling out of races and running 28 seconds. What fitness has she really proved?

8. Collapse Details

I’m not knowledgeable enough on her season to comment on Carter specifically, but isn’t the point of the matter she hasn’t been asked to show fitness - she (and all others in her boat) were asked to turn up, and she and Taylor etc did just that. If she’d been asked to race in the same event, run one round, show fitness (what does that even mean as a term - so open to discussion!) they would have done that. They can’t be held to a different account now.

It’s very hard to show up and go through the motions over the hurdles - far too much can go wrong that way. Frankly, if I was her and given the current rules, I’d have entered the long jump and done what Taylor did - a lot less work for her and less likely to get injured warming up etc. Then go and spectate/see the fans, which is what the best use of these athletes would be, if they’re not full-on competing.

9. Collapse Details

IMO S MC has an issue to work out over the 3rd 100.

She tends to settle and work on her steps prepping for the last 100 - where she is spectacular. Her hips drop a fraction and her stride changes. Meanwhile D M runs a special 3 rd 100.

My view.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    IMO S MC has an issue to work out over the 3rd 100.

She tends to settle and work on her steps prepping for the last 100 - where she is spectacular. Her hips drop a fraction and her stride changes. Meanwhile D M runs a special 3 rd 100.
    That 3rd 100 was very special. The way Muhammad attacks the hurdles is what sets her apart.