Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Doha, Qatar World Championships
    With tensions rising in the Middle East, is there an alternate site if the shit hit the fan over there?

2. Collapse Details

Helsinki.

3. Collapse Details

Helsinki? In early October? I can think of several places where the weather is likely to be more favorable.

4. Collapse Details

South Eugene HS

5. Collapse Details

So, to any of our knowledge, if hostilities break out, no alternative site, as of now, have been discussed? Oh. Ok. Never mind then.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    So, to any of our knowledge, if hostilities break out, no alternative site, as of now, have been discussed? Oh. Ok. Never mind then.
    I hasten to say I have zero inside knowledge on this, but I'd be shocked if a contingency plan hasn't been discussed at the highest levels. And I'd be equally shocked if it didn't move to London (even if it does make soccer rather unhappy).

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Seems there would have to be a decision pretty soon....the football season starts next month...West Ham have 2 home games in October....and suddenly plunking a 10 day meet in London in October...when the days are short and the weather isn't that great? Sounds almost cheaper just to cancel...

Also Britain seems to be playing a big part in the news....would they really want to host a major international event that was moved from the middle east....and in 3 months? Add in the Brexit nonsense which is coming to a boil this autumn... Boris Johnson, the likely next PM, has promised to be out of the EU October 31st....whether that happens or not...is unknown but not a great thing to have as a possibility if hostilities do happen and looking for allies...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-21-2019 at 12:21 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Not too far fetched to think some will just stay home if things heat up much more...not worth the risk/trouble

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    You would think so....

10. Collapse Details

A lot could depend on when, as the OP put it, the shit hits the fan. If it happens within the next week, there might be some alternatives that could work. If it happens the week before the WCh is supposed to begin, cancellation may be inevitable.