Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Erica B wins with 6600+; how does this rate for a podium chance?
    Both American heptathletes are able to score ~6,700 that was enough to win a medal in all recent major championships.
    Having said that, I cannot remember the last time an American had a good performance (close to her PB) in the Heptathlon in a major championship (2008?). So I would estimate contenders but not favorites for a medal.

2. Collapse Details

Zamzow had slight knee problem that kept her from most training from NCAA to this meet.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Erica B wins with 6600+; how does this rate for a podium chance?
    On paper it makes them contenders for a minor medal right up there with Krizsan, Preiner & Ikauniece (Thiam & KJT should have gold & silver sewn up) however I think in reality it will be tough. Schafer has had some big technical issues but I think she will massively improve on her 6426 SB in Doha (SP fouls permitting...). I also think Ikauniece will improve from the 6500 level she's at now to 6600+. So I think the European athletes will come through, but they certainly have the potential to score over 6700 as olorin says, and if they did do that, that will medal more often that not.

4. Collapse Details

Bougard looks so much fitter this season. That 800 was stunning.

5. Collapse Details

Posted this elsewhere, but very surprisingly, the IAAF Combined Events Challenge leader is Annie Kunz USA, who was 4th in Des Moines, but has the best aggregate scores from eligible Hepts this year (and boosted her score a further 19pts with second at Pan Ams).

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ia...ngs/2019/women

As there don't appear to be any more eligible meets, she's looking at a Wild Card, with 3rd placed Hawkins presumably still getting a "roll down" spot, and the USA team fielding four women.

6. Collapse Details

Could someone please post a confirmation here once USATF has confirmed Annie Kunz as part of the Doha team. As leader of the IAAF challenge she will get a Wild Card and the US will get four slots.

7. Collapse Details

That's my understanding. That's assuming that Hawkins gets an IAAF invite (which is possible but not inevitable) and that USATF accepts the invite (which I would hope they will, although that may not be automatic).

8. Collapse Details

Chances for Hawkins look pretty good. There are several athletes ahead of her in the rankings who are at least doubtful. Aguilar doesn't have any results in 2019, Jorgelis Rodriguez has only one, the heptathlon in Lima where she NHed. German federation has never accepted any invitations, Weißenberg would be the first. French federation is also very strict, they have 11.10 as standard for w100 for example. I'm guessing 2-3 ahead of Hawkins will drop out.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Somebody splain to me why some federations are so tight-assed about accepting invitations (or imposing harsher-than-IAAF standards). They like to punish their athletes for not meeting their lofty standards?

From wehre I sit, the more big-time international competition your athlete sees, the better off they will be.

10. Collapse Details

I don't get it either, especially because it's my understanding that the transportation and housing costs of the athletes are paid for by the IAAF and/or the host country.