Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 50 years of YES

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    50 years of YES
    Fifty years ago, July 25, 1969, YES released their first album:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-debut-album/

I saw them for the first time in 1977 on their Going For the One tour and was totally taken by their music and their show. They were my favorite group, then and now. Wish I had come to the party a few years earlier as after I saw them three times in 1979, they fragmented, then would come back together and fragment again, in various permutations with other progressive rockers over the next couple of decades. Last time I saw them with their classic lineup of John Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, and Alan White was at Red Rocks west of Denver in 2004. After that, Wakeman could not tour because of heart problems, Anderson developed some lung issues that prevented him from touring around about 2009 (and led to a permanent split with the rest of the group as they toured without him) then four years ago Chris Squire died of leukemia.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Fifty years ago, July 25, 1969, YES released their first album:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-debut-album/

I saw them for the first time in 1977 on their Going For the One tour and was totally taken by their music and their show. They were my favorite group, then and now. Wish I had come to the party a few years earlier as after I saw them three times in 1979, they fragmented, then would come back together and fragment again, in various permutations with other progressive rockers over the next couple of decades. Last time I saw them with their classic lineup of John Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, and Alan White was at Red Rocks west of Denver in 2004. After that, Wakeman could not tour because of heart problems, Anderson developed some lung issues that prevented him from touring around about 2009 (and led to a permanent split with the rest of the group as they toured without him) then four years ago Chris Squire died of leukemia.
    Yes just passed through here and I considered attending until I realized John Anderson wouldn't be with them. Howe, White and Geoff Downes were with them. They were with Asia and John Lodge. I assume Howe pulled double duty.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    can I vote NO?

their best stuff must have come during one of my country and/or classical periods: couldn't name a single piece for the life of me

4. Collapse Details

The quintessential Yes collection:

The Yes Album 1970
    Fragile 1971
    Close the Edge 1972
    Yessongs (three LP live album) 1973
    Tales From Topographic Oceans 1973
    Relayer 1974
    Going for the One 1977

Their studio albums went steadily downhill after that.
    Last edited by DrJay; 07-25-2019 at 01:47 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    can I vote NO?

their best stuff must have come during one of my country and/or classical periods: couldn't name a single piece for the life of me
    You know Roundabout, and Your Move/Iíve Seen All Good People. And, unfortunately, Owner of a Lonely Heart, which was a crappy pop sellout.
    Last edited by DrJay; 07-25-2019 at 01:45 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Hadn't heard of them till my soph year roommate, an accomplished guitarist, became obsessed with them that year. In the dorm talent show, he played one of their songs on an electric guitar - no amp! - and you could hear a pin drop as he played. He won.

7. Collapse Details

You know Roundabout, and Your Move/Iíve Seen All Good People. And, unfortunately, Owner of a Lonely Heart, which was a crappy pop sellout.
    And of course, a favorite of my HS Cross Country team (and probably many others), "Long Distance Runaround."

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Hadn't heard of them till my soph year roommate, an accomplished guitarist, became obsessed with them that year. In the dorm talent show, he played one of their songs on an electric guitar - no amp! - and you could hear a pin drop as he played. He won.
    Might have been Howe's acoustic track from Fragile, "Mood for a Day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJsgdjOqGY

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Might have been Howe's acoustic track from Fragile, "Mood for a Day."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJsgdjOqGY
    It may well have been!!

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    You know Roundabout, and Your Move/I’ve Seen All Good People. And, unfortunately, Owner of a Lonely Heart, which was a crappy pop sellout.
    on searching, I indeed know Roundabout, but don't recognize the others.