Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 50 years of YES

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    on searching, I indeed know Roundabout, but don't recognize the others.
    Am I the only one who finds this revelation stunning? It's one thing to have missed those songs when they first came out, but how does one avoid staples of classic rock radio for the ensuing 45+ years? It is not like YES has an indistinguishable sound to them, they are fairly unique in the prog rock canon.

2. Collapse Details

I assume YES is a musical ensemble?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I assume YES is a musical ensemble?
    Yes (pun unavoidable).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)

One of the leading progressive rock groups of the 1970s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progre...ive_rock_bands

Other prominent groups of the genre included Pink Floyd, Genesis, Emerson, Lake and Palmer (ELP), Rush, and King Crimson.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this revelation stunning? It's one thing to have missed those songs when they first came out, but how does one avoid staples of classic rock radio for the ensuing 45+ years? It is not like YES has an indistinguishable sound to them, they are fairly unique in the prog rock canon.
    gh knows a ton about a ton of things, including music. Could do well on Jeopardy. But there's only so much room in there, so something has to be left out. And, given that so many of their great songs (read: pre-Owner of a Lonely Heart) were in the 8:00 to 20:00 range in length, they didn't get a lot of airplay, even on really good FM stations of the late 1970s. You had to get ahold of the albums and make a point to listen to them.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    I don't. I like Yes to a degree and even a fairly significant part of their catalogue I'm either unfamiliar with or I don't want to be familiar with.

Other than Roundabout, maybe "And You and I", "All Good People" and "Yours is no Disgrace" would be tunes played occasionally (and very) on classic rock type stations which tend to play the same one or two songs from a given group/act.

In addition, gh apparently does not listen to a source of music which plays more pop/top 40 type of songs even historically which is probably where you'd hear "Owner of a Lonely Heart". Recall that gh was unfamiliar with Prince's music which I found far more amazing as Prince's music you can hear walking down the street or even as bumper music from time to time. That's not a criticism of taste at all btw.

6. Collapse Details

Their keyboardist, Rick Wakeman, was the Liberace of glam rock, with flowing sequined capes and astounding talent. I have his Journey to the Center of the Earth (David Hemmings narrator) tour de force operatic album.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    You know Roundabout, and Your Move/I’ve Seen All Good People. And, unfortunately, Owner of a Lonely Heart, which was a crappy pop sellout.
    By ear I recognize all of these songs but would not have been able to tell you the group was or anything else about them for sure; would have placed them in the 70s.

8. Collapse Details

Steve Howe, their guitarist, was voted Best All-Around Guitarist three years in a row by Guitar Player magazine in the late 1970s. Chris Squire was one of rock's great bass players.

9. Collapse Details

What was I doing when you all were listening to this music??? What were you doing???

10. Collapse Details

I was in high school and running track and cross country.

When I saw YES at the Paramount in Denver c. 2009, I found a group of fans (via the YESFANS message board) meeting at a brewpub before the show. It was pretty weird, like going back in a time tunnel to the 1970s. I'd like to think my buddy and I were just about the only "normal" people at the table.