Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My prediction is that Centro will perform better in Doha.

2. Collapse Details

What are some of your thoughts on medal chances for Centro and Engels?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    not to denigrate his effort in any way, but age 26 and with a PR of 3:38.21......
    His 3:38.21 PR doesn't reflect his current form...I think, in a good rabbited race, he could run 3:35ish.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    What are some of your thoughts on medal chances for Centro and Engels?
    Hard to assess because we've never seen Engels at a really big meet yet; but I'd say pretty low for Centro, very possible for Engels if he turns out to be a good big meet runner; though if the race plays out like the 2017 one he'd have to run a PB to medal.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Hard to assess because we've never seen Engels at a really big meet yet; but I'd say pretty low for Centro, very possible for Engels if he turns out to be a good big meet runner; though if the race plays out like the 2017 one he'd have to run a PB to medal.
    The Pre DL he was too far back, should've been where Blankenship was, but he closed like a monster. I doubt he medals but if he gets himself in the correct spot he might surprise. Also, we are two months away.

6. Collapse Details

A bigger question for me is Gregorek...didn't he run sub 3:50 mile indoors this year? Has he been hurt? My morning line on any American in Doha: 25-1 to medal.
    My morning line on it being a 1200 meter jog and a 300 meter sprint: 50-1...with 3 Kenyans, 3 Ethiopians and 2 Ingebritsens in the final the pace will be honest; not rabbit-like but honest.
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 07-29-2019 at 09:29 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    My morning line on any American in Doha: 25-1 to medal.
    My morning line on it being a 1200 meter jog and a 300 meter sprint: 50-1...with 3 Kenyans, 3 Ethiopians and 2 Ingebritsens in the final the pace will be honest; not rabbit-like but honest.
    That's fair, though there were quality performers in that race back in 2016 and they walked 1200 meters.

8. Collapse Details

I wouldn't count on three Ethiopians in the final. Tefera is great when on song but he's not on song very regularly; Kejelcha might go 5/10; they don't have anyone else who's run under 3:35 this year (though to be fair, Centro and Engels haven't done that either).

Too early to tell if someone new might take a big leap, of course.

9. Collapse Details

So apparently, Engels studied Centro's race videos (every single one he could find) to figure out how to beat him.

Well, maybe he should now focus on studying race videos of past Olympic and World Championships races.

It is ironic (or poetic justice) that Centro lost to an NOP guy in the first championship race after leaving NOP. Salazar and Julian should be pretty satisfied.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    So apparently, Engels studied Centro's race videos (every single one he could find) to figure out how to beat him.

Well, maybe he should now focus on studying race videos of past Olympic and World Championships races.

It is ironic (or poetic justice) that Centro lost to an NOP guy in the first championship race after leaving NOP. Salazar and Julian should be pretty satisfied.
    Seems like that strategy of sleepwalking through the first 700 then controlling the last 800 was made for Centro unless you believe you're faster than Centro in the last 400. Obviously he believes he's faster and was.