Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    No way to determine but would Kerron Clement have a better career in the flat 400? Ran 44.48 when he was 21.
    I'd wager if you went to him in 2006 and said, "Alright K, pick one: you can have a career in the hurdles and wind up with two Olympic medals, three WC medals, and be a fixture in the event for over a decade, and oh by the way, also get selected and win some relay medals on the side. Or, you can run the open and see how it shakes out."

    I get what you're saying, but I feel like this line of thinking really underrates what he's accomplished over his career.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by nikbonaddio View Post
    I'd wager if you went to him in 2006 and said, "Alright K, pick one: you can have a career in the hurdles and wind up with two Olympic medals, three WC medals, and be a fixture in the event for over a decade, and oh by the way, also get selected and win some relay medals on the side. Or, you can run the open and see how it shakes out."

    I get what you're saying, but I feel like this line of thinking really underrates what he's accomplished over his career.
    Not underrating his accomplishments at all. He's had a great career. But his career was stifled by an inability to hurdle. He was great because he ran a great 400. If he ran the 400 he'd have to compete with Merritt and maybe he saw the hurdles or was pushed to the hurdles as a way to avoid a talented rival.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Clement commented with such certainty that he’d be on the podium at USAs and in Doha.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Not underrating his accomplishments at all. He's had a great career. But his career was stifled by an inability to hurdle. He was great because he ran a great 400. If he ran the 400 he'd have to compete with Merritt and maybe he saw the hurdles or was pushed to the hurdles as a way to avoid a talented rival.
    It's not his hurdling technique that's his problem. When he keeps his head on straight and doesn't panic and start chopping, he's fine. His hurdling itself is probably better than Warholm's. It didn't look to me as though Clement was in good enough condition to get on the podium, and that contributed to his inability, in the semis and final, to keep his stride pattern going.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    It's not his hurdling technique that's his problem. When he keeps his head on straight and doesn't panic and start chopping, he's fine. His hurdling itself is probably better than Warholm's. It didn't look to me as though Clement was in good enough condition to get on the podium, and that contributed to his inability, in the semis and final, to keep his stride pattern going.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Stride pattern is part of hurdling technique but my comments were more about his career as a whole, a great career, sure, but one that might have been better.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,728
    better than an Olympic gold and 2 WC golds? Color me skeptical
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Stride pattern is part of hurdling technique but my comments were more about his career as a whole, a great career, sure, but one that might have been better.
    3 major meet golds and it might have been better? I don't get it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    It's not his hurdling technique that's his problem
    Sorry to be contentious, but I've been coaching this event over 25 years and it is PRECISELY his lack of hurdling skills that is his problem. Unless your name is Edwin Moses, no one can foresee what will happen in a race in terms of stride-pattern. You can practice a stride pattern all you want, but on race day, that all goes out the window with the race on (though I notice that SM is reining herself in at the beginning, in order to hit the pattern she wants). Therefore you MUST practice (intentionally) taking a hurdle with whatever leg presents itself. KC cannot do that. Every kid I've coached CAN do that, because that's how they learned the event. It's pathetic that he cannot. His best races have been when he was super-fit and could maintain the 13 he wanted. But he can't do that in the rounds and he's certainly shown that he can't do it in most finals.
    He's a great star, but a coach's nightmare.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    3 major meet golds and it might have been better? I don't get it.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/might

    I'd go with definition #2 to understand.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/might

    I'd go with definition #2 to understand.
    Question is why anyone would pick an athlete with 3 major meet golds to wonder what might have been but whatever floats your boat.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •