Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

They got the conversion right later in the story:

>>Kendricks was clear on his first six heights, before he and Nilsen both missed all three attempts at 19-4.25 (5.90m).<<

2. Collapse Details

I did not realize the underscored. (from an article here)

The Kendricks clearance was the best outdoor vault worldwide in 25 years and made him the second-highest vaulter outdoors in history. And his sixth-consecutive win surpassed the 5-year streaks by legends Dutch Warmerdam and Bob Richards.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I did not realize the underscored. (from an article here)
    It was a point of pride for Sam in the mixed zone!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Im still amazed at him vaulting 1910 on a 16 pole. Factoring in the box(8), that would be a push off of at least 46.

Has that been done before?
    Anyone on here have any insight as to whether he is considering moving to a longer pole? It seems that he may have ridden this one to the max!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Anyone on here have any insight as to whether he is considering moving to a longer pole? It seems that he may have ridden this one to the max!
    Moving poles is a very tricky physical and psychological maneuver. That's why Mondo still has sky-high (pun!) potential. He seems impervious to the complications inherent in the move.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    I think he tried a few years ago, I don't think it worked out.

At age 26, I don't think Sam is going to get any faster than he is now. If he can continue to stay healthy, he could spend the next 10 years making good money and winning good medals on the circuit being a guy that can jump 5.80+ in any conditions, 5.90s in decent conditions and 6 meters+ when the stars align.

Sam said in the mixed zone that he doesn't think the world record is his destiny. I don't think he's wrong.

Like yes, athletes always want to improve their PR. But there is a lot to be said for being a guy that consistently executes their best jump, time and time again. No vaulter in modern history has Sam's ability to run down the runway and perform very close to their maximum potential, jump after jump, regardless of the height of the bar.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    he doesn't think the world record is his destiny. I don't think he's wrong.
    The only reason I'd agree, is that - while it's only 4" more, and he CAN do that, Mondo is going to hike it out of reach pretty soon - to 6.25-6.30, and then NO ONE else can break it till some new technology comes out (which, of course, it will).

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Mondo is going to hike it out of reach pretty soon - to 6.25-6.30
    I doubt it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I think he tried a few years ago, I don't think it worked out.

At age 26, I don't think Sam is going to get any faster than he is now.
    I asked Coach K last year when Sam wasnt as consistent as in 2017. They tried a 5 meter pole and then beginning of this year a 4.95 pole. I think they were experimenting because last year was an off year. I guess they decided Sam does best with a 4.90 even though theoritcally there is more room for growth with a longer pole.

In terms of Mondo he is on 5.20 poles. Thats the length Bubka and Renaud cleared their WRs on.

However Mondo isnt on poles as stiff as Bubka. I think as long as Mondo keeps getting on stiffer poles without changing his mass dramatically he has a large chance to continue improving.

I think he will break 20 before or as a 20 year old. By the time he is 27 he will have the WR a few times over.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    However Mondo isnt on poles as stiff as Bubka.
    Didn't Bubka outweigh and outstrength Mondo? I'll guess Mondo outspeeds Bubka and the kid is absolutely fearless.