Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Didn't Bubka outweigh and outstrength Mondo? I'll guess Mondo outspeeds Bubka and the kid is absolutely fearless.
    Strength is relative to body size. I'm sure Bubka could destroy Mondo in the weight room (maybe even still today haha) but Mondo may be stronger for his size. I don't know how you could really measure pole stiffness relative to body size for elite men... weight ratings are basically meaningless at that point... but I would guess Mondo is on at least comparable, if not bigger, poles than Bubka was, relative to his size.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I think he tried a few years ago, I don't think it worked out.

At age 26, I don't think Sam is going to get any faster than he is now. If he can continue to stay healthy, he could spend the next 10 years making good money and winning good medals on the circuit being a guy that can jump 5.80+ in any conditions, 5.90s in decent conditions and 6 meters+ when the stars align.

Sam said in the mixed zone that he doesn't think the world record is his destiny. I don't think he's wrong.

Like yes, athletes always want to improve their PR. But there is a lot to be said for being a guy that consistently executes their best jump, time and time again. No vaulter in modern history has Sam's ability to run down the runway and perform very close to their maximum potential, jump after jump, regardless of the height of the bar.
    Thanks polevaultpower and Atticus. I fully appreciate the challenge of moving to a longer, or stiffer pole (even though the little vaulting experience I had was on a 30 year old bamboo pole that was splitting at the end). And I would never think of advising to take a different approach. He seems to be doing fine as it is!

3. Collapse Details

I would guess Mondo is on at least comparable, if not bigger, poles than Bubka was, relative to his size.
    Absolutely, and that is the huge x-factor that Mondo brings to the table. He's still a 'puny kid' (although Kendricks and R LaVill aren't body-builders either, but next to the Poles (pun!) he's a runt) and yet able to get on big sticks!

4. Collapse Details

Lisek is a really big guy, but I've always wondered why Wojciechowski is being put in the same category, body type-wise. He looks significantly slimmer to me, although not as slim as Kendricks.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Didn't Bubka outweigh and outstrength Mondo? I'll guess Mondo outspeeds Bubka and the kid is absolutely fearless.
    Is it true about speed? I know that Bubka’s best 100m had been rumored to be between 10.2 and 10.5. With 10.3 apparently being a commonly cited number.

Mondo is fast, but not that fast.

https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...ei-Bubka/page2
    Last edited by Dave; 08-06-2019 at 08:41 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Is it true about speed? I know that Bubka’s best 100m had been rumored to be between 10.2 and 10.5. With 10.3 apparently being a commonly cited number.

Mondo is fast, but not that fast.

https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...ei-Bubka/page2
    Can’t we just ask Bubka? He has a twitter account. Mondo ran a 10.57. Im sure with dedicated training he could get into the 10.3s.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Mondo has an FAT 10.57. Bubka has a hand timed 10.3 from practice. I'll take peak Mondo over peak Bubka in the 100 meter dash any time.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Lest we start contributing to internet mythologies, note that the Mondo 10.57w was wind-aided (2.1), and that back when Bubka first emerged the tale was "they say he has 10.3 speed," never that he actually ran one in practice. Amazing how stories grow over time.

9. Collapse Details

Mondo has an FAT 10.57. Bubka has a hand timed 10.3 from practice. I'll take peak Mondo over peak Bubka in the 100 meter dash any time.
    You also can't overlook the fact that his body seems to have not completed maturity. I expect to see him add muscle/strength faster than one would expect a six plus meter jumper to be able to do.

I am excited to see his career progress.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    You also can't overlook the fact that his body seems to have not completed maturity.
    Which is why I have made the seemingly ridiculous claim that he may jump 6.25-6.30 before he's done (jumps 5 more years with no major injuries).