Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I’m still amazed at him vaulting 19’10” on a 16’ pole. Factoring in the box(8”), that would be a push off of at least 4’6”.

Has that been done before?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Im still amazed at him vaulting 1910 on a 16 pole. Factoring in the box(8), that would be a push off of at least 46.

Has that been done before?
    That is the world record of push off! Most guys jumping 5.50 are on longer poles than Sam. For reference if Mondo got as much push off as Sam on his 5.20 pole he would be jumping close to 21

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    Last year and the beginning of this year Sam was experimenting with longer poles. 5meter and 4.95 poles. ( I asked his dad) In 2017 and recently he has gone back to his 4.90 poles and the results speak for themselves. He had some good height over 6.06 too.

We are in uncharted territory with his push off. Bubka was holding at 5.17 on his 6 meter plus jumps( According to a 1987 IAAF study). Kendricks is holding at 4.85.

Box depth is 20cm so if my math is correct he has a 1.41 meter push off or 4.62 feet of push off!! Bubka 1.18..... WOW
    Looked like that bar was moving to me.........

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    Muscle cramps What a shame!

Not the worst thing though. World Champs would have been really tough for his senior year of college and maybe even affect the Olympics.

Going nuts of Kendricks! Certainly answered a lot of questions with that jump. Not to mention he did it on a 4.90 pole. For those of you not vaulters that pole is a full 1 foot shorter than what Bubka, Mondo, Renaud used to jump 6.05. Its insane to think how much push off that is and he looks like he had more in the tank for higher jumps! His first 6.06 jump looked amazing too!
    I agree. At first the cramping was in his calf, but then his groin, as you can see when he is in the pit. I was sitting with the South Dakota State crowd; they did much better on the women's side as Emily Grove had a great meet.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    I agree...a celebration...that just looked too phony and all those pilers on were very quick to have the look of "ok, that's over".
    I suppose that I have seen a few statements here that I have disagreed with more, but not very many. How in the world did you come up with this idea. Everyone was stunned for a second, although the extremely close miss on his first attempt told us it might be coming.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    I agree...a celebration...that just looked too phony and all those pilers on were very quick to have the look of "ok, that's over".
    I suppose that I have seen a few statements here that I have disagreed with more, but not very many. How in the world did you come up with this idea. Everyone was stunned for a second, although the extremely close miss on his first attempt told us it might be coming.

I guess it did not look the same on TV as it did in person in the dedicated section of pole vault fans.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    Looked like that bar was moving to me.........
    His hips were much higher, but It looked like his thighs scraped it on the way up. Standards placement is so critical.

8. Collapse Details

We both know hip height isnt what knocks off most bars....yes standards are very critical....

I thought he got it coming down......but I could be wrong regardless it stayed up.

Video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC8W9htfT8c

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    I thought he got it coming down......but I could be wrong regardless it stayed up.
    Where's that bar-cam when we need it?!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Where's that bar-cam when we need it?!
    Agreed, you would think they would have shown that.....