Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I don't think the Ecches and Manys are too worried.
    Funny thing is Henderson has the longest jump of the year. Possibly saddest thing, too.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    That was a non-Olympic and Worlds year so not a trial.
    good point!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    While this competition would be of an impressive quality for the national championships of any other country, I can't remember a men's LJ in a US trials of a lower level.
    Do you guys remember awhile back when Carl Lewis addressed this very subject and a lot of people got upset with him??

4. Collapse Details

Not to beat a dead horse here, but Marquis Goodwin, has career earnings just from playing football, of around $25 million plus another million for being the fastest at 40 yards. Put together the combine earnings of all the long jumpers in the world and maybe you get to about 20% of that, and he's not even a top 60 wide receiver.

Point being, If I'm a 16 year old fast, athletic, american male, and I can choose between football and long jump or any event in T&F, it's a no brainer. The fact that America has the level of talent it does in the sprints and jumps is amazing at this point, considering the alternatives.

5. Collapse Details

Speaking of Goodwin, I believe he mentioned that he will be trying to make the US team for Tokyo.

6. Collapse Details

Yeah, I was very disappointed as well. I can know all the reasons (all of our 28+ guys play other sports, probably) but it was still underwhelming.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but Marquis Goodwin, has career earnings just from playing football, of around $25 million plus another million for being the fastest at 40 yards. Put together the combine earnings of all the long jumpers in the world and maybe you get to about 20% of that, and he's not even a top 60 wide receiver.

Point being, If I'm a 16 year old fast, athletic, american male, and I can choose between football and long jump or any event in T&F, it's a no brainer. The fact that America has the level of talent it does in the sprints and jumps is amazing at this point, considering the alternatives.
    Well said and true ... unfortunately for T&F.

8. Collapse Details

I don't think long jumping is very lucrative. Of Britain's 3 track and field champs from London 2012, it was noticeable that Greg Rutherford was the one most likely to appear on some random TV show every now and again to make some extra cash. Jess Ennis-Hill and Mo Farah had bigger sponsorship deals and, in the latter's case, bigger prize money.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    Point being, If I'm a 16 year old fast, athletic, american male, and I can choose between football and long jump or any event in T&F, it's a no brainer. ....
    not to be cruel, but football and "no brainer" in this day and age does give one pause—or it should—no matter what the bucks.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Depends on options....white kids from wealthy high schools still play football...that's changing but I don't see a wholesale abandonment to track soon.