Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Depends on options....white kids from wealthy high schools still play football...that's changing but I don't see a wholesale abandonment to track soon.
    It seems that a lot more of those kids are playing soccer. They may not run track but they are slowly backing away from football.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Yeah, I was very disappointed as well. I can know all the reasons (all of our 28+ guys play other sports, probably) but it was still underwhelming.
    I guess for me the question is are there now MORE 28-level-talent guys doing football and other sports and FEWER doing track. The lure of big money football was there in the 80s, 90s and so on, too, although I know the money is much more than ever. Why was football less appealing to guys like Lewis, Myricks, Powell, Phillips, Conley back then than it is to those with similar potential now?

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    the money to be made in. the NFL then, I would posit, pales compared to what it does now

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    the money to be made in. the NFL then, I would posit, pales compared to what it does now
    Exactly....I remember when Nehemiah went to football he was making a good living at track and didn't make that much more playing football.... except for the challenge it was hard to figure why he did it....

These days even so so football players who last a few years can make millions...

Same with soccer in Europe...in the 80s footballers didn't make that much money so a track career was not a bad option....completely different today.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-31-2019 at 04:46 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Exactly....I remember when Nehemiah went to football he was making a good living at track and didn't make that much more playing football.... except for the challenge it was hard to figure why he did it....

These days even so so football players who last a few years can make millions...

Same with soccer in Europe...in the 80s footballers didn't make that much money so a track career was not a bad option....completely different today.
    I think the boycott of 1980 may have something to do with Sheets going to football.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    I think the boycott of 1980 may have something to do with Sheets going to football.
    k

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Perhaps....but Nehemiah didn't go to the NFL until 1982...the LA Olympics were only 2 years down the road and making a 6 figure income in track at the time...and only 23...the point is it wasn't money that drove him to the NFL....

8. Collapse Details

While bemoaning the dearth of 28 foot jumpers, keep in mind that is a very difficult thing to do. There have been only double handfull in history and not all at once.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Keep in mind that HS 25-footers are becoming increasingly rare; the peeling is starting early

10. Collapse Details

I doubt the weather had much to do with the subpar distances jumped...