Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Des Moines

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Here, in Canada, I enjoyed watching 2 hours on Saturday, 1 hour today, on the big screen, NBC TV. Meanwhile, our National Network, CBC, showed not 1 minute of our Canadian Championships and Trials, which were also on this weekend ... shameful !!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Thursday: 5179
    Friday: 7150
    Saturday: 8218
    Sunday 9820

for total of 30,367

3. Collapse Details

Can I post again? I found the meet quite enjoyable; I will try to add things to various threads where I found things different than what a number of posters said (e.g., ZZ is going for sure; I would not bet on it at all based on what Williams dad said that evening).

4. Collapse Details

Giving reigning DL champions a wild card was actually a good idea, especially in the year when there isn't a world championships. I wonder why they stopped.

Nevermind, I saw where this year's champions get the wild card. I still think they should incentivize althetes in the off year, but this year is an oddball.
    Last edited by HopStepJump; 07-29-2019 at 12:09 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    can somebody please mute the drum corps?
    The drum corps made it impossible to hear the running event PA announcer during that race when the drums kept going through most of the race.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Promotion in Des Moines is non-existent. Every Uber driver we have used has asked us why we are doing at the stadium. They have no idea what is going on here.
    Mrs. tandfman came out to the stadium the other day with an Uber driver who had earlier driven one of the athletes to the stadium. Otherwise, we've found little or no awareness of the event among the people in restaurants and shops that we've spoken to.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I think it was $3.50.
    Just to close the loop on the price-of-pizza posts, I checked yesterday. The price was indeed $3.50, but for $5.50 you could get a slice of pizza plus a 21 oz. fountain drink that would cost $3.00 if purchased alone.

8. Collapse Details

They should not let Des Moines (or anyone) host again unless they commit something to a vigorous local awareness campaign. I understand that people cannot afford to come from across the country to watch, but when 98% of the local community has no clue that some of the greatest athletes in the country are in their backyard for four days....that is terrible. During the dec vault a man sitting next to me with his two young boys told me that he heard about the meet from people at a restaurant the evening prior and decided to bring his boys to watch. The boys are now begging him to go to a track meet every weekend. How many more fans like this could we create if USATF just pretended to have the sport and the athletes interest first? Truly shameful.

9. Collapse Details

One final comment on the lack of other city's newspaper coverage; Here in Indianapolis,
    the home of USATF, today's Indianapolis Star had absolutely nothing repeat absolutely nothing. David Woods, couldn't you have prevented this ?!

10. Collapse Details

The Register Guard not only carried a large photo of Delilah on sports page 1, they also placed a small box above the banner on the front page of the entire paper. Meanwhile, almost unbelievably, she wasn’t mentioned in today’s Des Moines paper, which focused only on locals Houlihan and Tausaga. Sheesh, a non winning DT trumps a WR?