Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Des Moines

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBaroo View Post
    So - I'll be hitting up Des Moines next Friday-Sunday.

Anyone know anything about getting around there/ parking / eating?

I'm staying down town - do I need a rental car to get to Drake - or are there shuttles/ Ubers to get there.

Once you get settled the cheapest option to get to/fro the stadium would be Des Moines extensive bike share program, with multiple stations located throughout the downtown and Drake stadium area.

https://desmoines.bcycle.com/
    There are no strings on me

2. Collapse Details

I still do not know if I am going, but if I do so I will be driving. I will have some space in the car.

3. Collapse Details

I'm thinking of driving from Indy ( 8 hours!) and being too cheap to stay in a motel, instead taking my tent and staying in a campgrounds 15 miles on out on the west side. Part of the adventure...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    I'm thinking of driving from Indy ( 8 hours!) and being too cheap to stay in a motel, instead taking my tent and staying in a campgrounds 15 miles on out on the west side. Part of the adventure...
    LOL!!! Word??????

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Jethro's BBQ is roughly one lap away from the track
    I'm not a BBQ guy, which is why I didn't think of that as an option.

6. Collapse Details

Top of Section J, Drake Stadium, Des Moines
    As a local, I thought I better pass along some info to those of you who are making your way here for this weekend.

Unfortunately, the geniuses at the City of Des Moines have decided that now would be a good time for street repairs in the Drake neighborhood. This means that finding a place to park will be an issue. Your best option, if you have a car, will likely be to park in the lot that runs along the south side of University Avenue between 26th and 28th street. From there, go across University and across the campus (two blocks wide) to the Stadium. The sound will draw you in. There is a lot on the south side of Forest Avenue (the street running outside the Stadium) at 24th Street, but getting there is not easy right now.

Maybe we will get lucky and they will have it all completed by tomorrow afternoon, but after seeing that area today it seems very unlikely.

If you are staying downtown and do not have a car, Uber or Lyft are probably your best option. I would not take one of the rent-a-bikes - not the safest neighborhoods in the area to travel through.

As for restaurants, there are not many right around the Stadium, with the exception of Jethro's and a new branch of Fong's Pizza (a local favorite). If you want to walk a little further, you can trek over to the SE corner of the campus and try the Drake Diner (half a block south of University on 25th). It's a favorite of Drake students and alumni.

Restaurants downtown are not a problem. Lots of great options, and who knows - you may run into a Democratic presidential candidate. They are all over the place on the weekends, especially at the Farmers Market on Court Avenue which is Saturday morning.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    thanks for the comprehensive report

8. Collapse Details

Yes, Steve, you really are a high jumper and this proves it my friend!

9. Collapse Details

My appointment issues have been resolved and I will be coming; plan to be there after a 4:30 drive from Madison. Any recommendations on hotels? Downtown is a bit of a hike but I walk a lot and figured I would do that here but the comments about the neighborhood makes me reconsider that.

Also, what are restrictions on what can be brought in? Des Moines seems generally hotter than Madison, where staying out in a stadium all day is not too hard much of the time (after it warms up, of course).

Who will be there, is there a way to hook up with others?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Excessive heat warning in effect through this weekend, but temps forecast in mid-to-high 80s for 25-28, thunderstorm only mentioned for Sunday. Of course, this could change quickly.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    This morning's forecasts are interesting. weather.gov says nothing about rain today, but Weather Underground says there's as much as a 35% chance of rain this evening. Let's hope that doesn't happen. As it is, the meet isn't supposed to end until 10pm. Later would be a bummer.

No rain (and high in the upper 80s) Fri and Sat. weather.gov says there's a 20% chance of showers and T-showers Sunday after 2 pm. Weather Underground's numbers are consistent. Precip prob increases Sunday early evening after the meet ends.