Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Des Moines

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Des Moines
    So - I'll be hitting up Des Moines next Friday-Sunday.

Anyone know anything about getting around there/ parking / eating?

I'm staying down town - do I need a rental car to get to Drake - or are there shuttles/ Ubers to get there.

Move this thread wherever if it's not appropriate here. Thanks

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BCBaroo View Post
    So - I'll be hitting up Des Moines next Friday-Sunday.

Anyone know anything about getting around there/ parking / eating?

I'm staying down town - do I need a rental car to get to Drake - or are there shuttles/ Ubers to get there.

Move this thread wherever if it's not appropriate here. Thanks
    I believe that Drake is about 2-3 miles from downtown Des Moines. Perhaps Uber/Lyft might be the best options.

3. Collapse Details

I rented a car there last year and will probably do the same again this year, but Uber might be a good choice. I've never done Uber at a stadium after a game. I don't know if capacity/price/logistics might be issues with thousands of people getting out of a stadium at the same time.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I don't know if capacity/price/logistics might be issues with thousands of people getting out of a stadium at the same time.
    Not directly related, but I wonder what the attendance will actually be like this year?

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I rented a car there last year and will probably do the same again this year, but Uber might be a good choice. I've never done Uber at a stadium after a game. I don't know if capacity/price/logistics might be issues with thousands of people getting out of a stadium at the same time.
    It is not like a football game, where everyone streams out at once. There will be a rush when the last event is over, but I bet a ride share would be doable. Or walk somewhere nearby to eat and then head back. Or hang out with track friends awhile first

6. Collapse Details

I believe there is actually a decent bus system there (DART) that gets you from downtown to the university fairly quickly.

Try https://www.ridedart.com/mydart/trip-planner

7. Collapse Details

Excessive heat warning in effect through this weekend, but temps forecast in mid-to-high 80s for 25-28, thunderstorm only mentioned for Sunday. Of course, this could change quickly.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    . . . Or walk somewhere nearby to eat and then head back.
    I don't recall there being anyplace nearby to eat. But I can't really say that I've looked. I generally head right back to my hotel and eat somewhere nearby. This year, I'll probably grab something to eat at the stadium on Thursday--the meet ends very late. But post-meet dinner downtown seems doable on the other days.

9. Collapse Details

Jethro's BBQ is roughly one lap away from the track

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Jethro's is legendary, but the stadium is basically in a residential neighborhood and for a collection of restaurants I think you need to head downtown.

ps--Des Moines is a very good restaurant destination. I've had many fabulous meals there.