Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Could you argue that Warholm's race is closer to, if not under, 47 seconds? He hit hurdle 5 and was sloppy over hurdle 10.
    He's physically in sub-47 shape, but that doesn't mean he has or will have the skill and timing to smoothly clear all hurdles while moving at that speed.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Thanks. Appears to be mismarked as Day 2 in my Directv Program Guide, so my auto record did not think it was something new.
    Upon further review, I see that tomorrow's meet is on Olympic Channel at 4 PM, Pacific, while today's is on Tuesday at 9 PM, Pacific. Go figure.

What I meant in that post about D Williams is that being the points leader has no value; even if an athlete barely squeaks into the final, he/she can win the diamond (and the money, and the WC).

BTW, I watched the M 5000 on the replay; the feed starts when they've run about 1600 meters. Rhonex Kipruto kept telling Kiptarus, the 2nd pacer, to go faster, finally just passing him. He wanted a faster pace, and he needed it, because he apparently cannot finish like Gebrhiwet, et al.

Gebrhiwet, BTW, is looking better than ever. According to his official birth date, he is still only 25; he won the 2013 U20 world cross title. Interestingly, he has broken 13 eight times, and didn't win any of them -- 5 2nds and 3 3rds. Today was his fastest-ever win at 5000.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

3. Collapse Details

Somehow I have managed to miss watching Warholm run up to this point. He's my new fave. From step one he seems to be overstriding, literally stretching to his maximum leg extension, almost as if he's triple-jumping every step. And the arm swing! I love it!

4. Collapse Details

That anchor leg was a two-fold message to no one except her teammate Elaine Thompson: 1.) you can't have my anchor in the relay and 2.) my top end speed is ready.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Jakob smashes Henrik's NR, same last 200.
    Alan Shank
    The record was Marius Bakken's 13:06.39

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by upchuckserious View Post
    That anchor leg was a two-fold message to no one except her teammate Elaine Thompson: 1.) you can't have my anchor in the relay and 2.) my top end speed is ready.
    If there was ever any doubt that SAFP is back and better than ever, there shouldn't be any more. I hope this also means she goes full tilt tomorrow in the open 100, you never known when she decides to just coast it. I think it was a few years ago at this same meet when she ran a superb first heat, only to mail it in for the finals.

Also, as good as SAFP was on this anchor, I still feel like Elaine Thompson would be better. But there are so many politics at play, who knows. Strange that ET decided to run the 200 here only.

Probably the relay will have SAFP anchor and ET on second.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    Also, as good as SAFP was on this anchor, I still feel like Elaine Thompson would be better. But there are so many politics at play, who knows. Strange that ET decided to run the 200 here only.
    Strange, but predictable. ET and SAFP have the same enigmatic and autocratic coach, who since 2015 has kept them in separate races except for national trials and the Olympics. For that reason, I don't think ET will do the double in Doha.

8. Collapse Details

If there was ever any doubt that SAFP is back and better than ever, there shouldn't be any more. I hope this also means she goes full tilt tomorrow in the open 100, you never known when she decides to just coast it. I think it was a few years ago at this same meet when she ran a superb first heat, only to mail it in for the finals.

Strange and very unfortunate if it means what we think it means.

9. Collapse Details

Probably the relay will have SAFP anchor and ET on second.
    SAFP's current form, and overall relay pedigree/history there should be no reason why she's removed from anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Strange, but predictable. ET and SAFP have the same enigmatic and autocratic coach, who since 2015 has kept them in separate races except for national trials and the Olympics. For that reason, I don't think ET will do the double in Doha.
    Will be very interesting to see what happens with ET.

10. Collapse Details

If there was ever any doubt that SAFP is back and better than ever, there shouldn't be any more. I hope this also means she goes full tilt tomorrow in the open 100, you never known when she decides to just coast it.
    More accurately, you never know when her coach will tell her to just coast it.